Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 19, 2022

Saturday, March 19, 2022

Saturday, March 19, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2009. This was Mattie's first and last trip to the circus. Mattie received special tickets from the outpatient clinic to see the show in a private booth. Mattie loved the adventure and as you can see he got a clown's nose and several light up toys during intermission. It was an experience none of us will ever forget. 







Quote of the day: We do not have to become heroes overnight. Just a step at a time, meeting each thing that comes up, seeing it is not as dreadful as it appeared, discovering we have the strength to stare it down. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt


Since 2008, I have been using the same person to help clean our home. I was introduced to her by my neighbor, JP. Those of you reading the blog long-term, know that JP was the owner of JJ (our resident Jack Russell Terrier at our townhouse in Washington, DC). When Mattie was undergoing treatment for cancer, JP understood that I was rarely home and had no time to clean our home. So one day he sent over Blanca to clean for us and even paid for it. I couldn't deny that I needed the help back then as things were piling up all around me. Now 14 years later, Blanca is still in my life and helping me at the house. I know about her role as a mom and the ups and downs of raising her sons. Today I had the chance to catch up with her and it reminded me once again that being a parent may be one of the hardest jobs around. 

Because Blanca was coming at 9am, I had to wake up extra early, so I could shower and dress, make breakfast, and get my dad up and into the shower. I managed this juggling act but what is abundantly clear to me is my dad is declining rapidly. I mean not only physically, but most definitely cognitively. He can't remember what happened just a minute ago. Despite my best efforts to use prompts like calendars and a white board, he still is lost and confused at most points during the day.  

My escape was walking Sunny mid-day. Near our home is this wonderful walking trail, filled with trees and natural streams. Sunny and I both love it, and I appreciate having access to it without getting into a car. Honestly fresh air and greenery provide me some peace and short lived freedom. 
Our resident chipmunk is back! I haven't seen him all winter, but today he was hanging out by my office window. Sunny absolutely loves stalking this fellow. 
Later in the day, Peter and my dad sat outside on the porch. Even Sunny and Indie (under my dad's chair) joined them. While they were sitting outside, I was dealing with driving my mom back and forth into Washington, DC to get her hair and nails done. Keep in mind that it takes me about 45 minutes to get there, and that's just ONE WAY. 

I dropped her off at 1:30pm, and I asked the salon when she would be finished. They told me... 4:30pm. So at 3:45pm, I stopped what little work I could do at home, to go pick her up. I got to the salon at 4:30pm and I called my mom on her cell phone. She picked up her phone and she said her hair was getting blow dried. I told her I would park on a side street and she should call me when she was done. SHE NEVER DID. I called her at 5pm and at 5:15pm. No answer. By 5:20pm, I called the salon and they told me she had been waiting for me. Needless to say I was livid. As I waited an hour, parked in the car, and this kind of miscommunication sent me over the deep end. Especially when I have so much to catch up on. Needless to say I was screaming for 45 minutes all the way home. Not my finest hour.  

Though I thought I could get some sort of work done today, it did not happen. My dad started a diuretic and he had to go to the bathroom on the half hour. Since he can't do anything without supervision and support, that meant I was jumping around all afternoon. 


I end tonight's blog with a photo of Mattie Moon from our porch. May Mattie watch over me and give me strength. 


No comments: