Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 13, 2023

Monday, November 13, 2023

Monday, November 13, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2008. Mattie worked hard to create this model magic birthday cake for Peter. It is a moment in time I will never forget. Mattie loved to celebrate Peter's birthday, which is today! I remember pre-cancer, Mattie and I would always bake a lemon cake with vanilla icing to celebrate. Like Mattie, Peter also did not gravitate to chocolate. Now 15 years later, we still have this model magic cake and it sits in Peter's office. It is a constant reminder to me of Mattie's love for his parents, his creativity, and his incredible spirit under the most dire of circumstances. 



Quote of the day: Sorrow makes us all children again - destroys all differences of intellect. The wisest know nothing. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson


I took my mom into the city today to get her hair and nails done. If you have read the blog before, then you know I have a long standing friendship with my manicurist. I was introduced to her shortly after Mattie died. The salon I was going to at the time offered me free services because they were devastated for me by the loss of Mattie. Well this nail professional and I hit it off immediately. We are both fiery, we both are loyal to our family, and we will do whatever it takes to help those we love. Truthfully going to get my nails done is therapeutic. The funny part is for years my manicurist would call me her "therapist." Kidding of course because there is NO therapeutic relationship, just that I listen, have gotten to know her family and issues, and through this we have become buddies. 

Given my caregiving responsibilities I do not get my nails done that offer. But when I do, I love getting out of my own head and listening to my friend talk and get caught up in her life. She is an incredibly strong woman who has overcome so much in her life. I admire her. Today she was telling me about a movie she saw with her family. She did not remember the name of it, so I looked it up. It is called Radical. If I were able to go to a theater, I would see it! The radical refers to avant garde teaching methods to inspire children in Mexico. What I love about the premise of this movie is that YES INDEED, one person can transform the lives and futures of many children for the better. 

Here is a description....   In a Mexican border town plagued by neglect, corruption, and violence, a frustrated teacher (Eugenio Derbez) tries a radical new method to unleash the curiosity and potential of his students... and maybe even their genius.

Winner of the "Festival Favorite" award at the Sundance Film Festival 2023.

Trailer: https://www.radical.movie/videos/


No comments: