Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 15, 2023

Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken on November 19, 2008. It was post surgery and though Mattie was struggling, look at that smile. Despite the fact that three out of four limbs were operated on, Mattie found the inner strength to have hope and to smile. He truly is a role model for all of us. 


Quote of the day: There is not a reason for everything. Not every loss can be transformed into something useful. Things happen that do not have a silver lining. ~ Megan Devine


I have been under enormous stress lately. So much so that I am having trouble sleeping and eating. In fact, within the last month, I lost ten pounds. Today I went to see a therapist. It is ironic. I studied mental health counseling, am a licensed professional and NEVER went to counseling personally. Other than graduate school experiences which were required. I even managed to cope with Mattie's cancer diagnosis and death. However, I am at a crossroads in my life and what I have noticed is that one trauma has a way of re-igniting past traumas. 

Any case, it feels very different going to counseling, when you are a professional yourself. In fact, I would say we communicated differently together than if I was a non-mental health professional. I am a bundle of anxiety and truly did not even need her guidance or direction with conversation, as I can clearly talk straight for an hour. That said, I found this individual very present, a good listener, and helped to normalize another very abnormal situation for me. I do think that in challenging times in my life, different people present themselves. People that I may not have ever expected to be there for me. 

No comments: