Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 22, 2023

Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2007, on Thanksgiving Day to be specific. We took Mattie to Boston that year to celebrate the holiday with Peter's family. We got all the cousins together on the front porch and captured this moment in time. Mattie was the youngest in the group, but was determined to keep up with the others. 

Quote of the day: Some things cannot be fixed; they can only be carried. Grief like yours, love like yours, can only be carried. ~ Megan Devine


While getting dressed this morning, I received a message from a friend in Boston. She wanted me to know she was thinking of me and wanted me to see a photo of this cute pooch!

This morning after dropping my dad off at his memory care center, I ran a few chores and then was able to sit down and start crafting the Foundation's November newsletter. Later in the afternoon, I took my mom to Starbuck's. I know most of the baristas at this location and so many of them are absolutely lovely and will walk orders over to our table and pre-make things before I even order them. In addition, we ran into a local author we have come to know at this Starbuck's. She stopped by to chat and we talked about where she gets her inspiration for her novels. Needless to say, this Starbuck's is like my Cheers (the TV show). I honestly can't go to a Starbuck's without thinking of my very first mental health client in graduate school. This fellow was young, bright, and very depressed. He graded and evaluated his life through the window of a Starbuck's. He felt that everyone inside the store was happy, connected with others, and leading a full life. Whereas my client felt he was on the outside and he so longed to be one of the people on the 'inside.' This man's comments and emotions remain with me even today! Now that I am dealing with my own issues, his comments are actually quite profound for me. However, what I can attest to is whether one is sitting inside or outside of Starbuck's, our issues and problems follow us. 

Later today I went to the animal ER to pick up steroids for Sunny. I am hoping I can get him to take them tomorrow and that they help to perk him up. I did take Sunny for a walk this evening. We did not get too far, but we at least got outside! We even met a very friendly Bernese Mountain Dog. 

Clearly we are decorated for Thanksgiving! But while walking our neighborhood, I noticed that so many people have dispensed with their fall themed items and pumpkins, and instead have Christmas trees and lights up already! Each year it gets earlier and earlier. I certainly love seeing the lights and it brightens our dark nights, but I also think it is important to live in the present moment and I don't know how one does that when celebrating two distinct holidays at the same time. 

No comments: