Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 20, 2023

Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2002. It was Mattie's first experience with SNOW! We had snow the first week of December that year. I opened our front door and Mattie used his 'tot wheels' to mobilize into action to check out the white stuff. As you can see, he proceeded with caution and wanted to make sure I was right behind him. There were many firsts for Mattie within our home in the city and I remember each and every moment. 





Quote of the day: Sometimes, all you can do is lie in bed and hope to fall asleep before you fall apart. ~ William Hannan


It was a whirlwind of a day. After dropping off my dad at this memory care center, my mom and I drove to Alexandria, VA to have a photo opportunity with the president of the US Senate Federal Credit Union, Tim Anderson. Peter and I met with Tim last year. He is a class act and I am thoroughly impressed with his organization's philanthropic  commitment to the community. 

The Credit Union is located in a stunning building and everyone working there, seems happy to be there. So unusual in today's day in age. We had a lovely chat with Tim and his staff and took several photos. 

After the photo with the big check, we took a photo with the real check! We are grateful for their $10,000 donation, and as I told Tim today, this money goes a long way with Mattie Miracle!
The three of us!









After our trip to the bank, I drove to Mattie's school because I did not want Christmas to pass without decorating his tree. It is a tradition, and traditions to me are important. 

I cleaned up the tree, put on new ribbons and added 12 Christmas ornaments. 
The tree has metal butterflies on it, orange awareness ribbons, and countless other items! 
The school is working on a new memorial plaque as this one has worn away and the children during recess destroyed the plaque's stand. 
Can you see this moon themed ornament? It says love you to the moon and back! Something I would say to Mattie often!
Mattie's tree! 












I wish I could say that this is where my day ended! Sunny had his monthly oncology appointment today. Unfortunately I learned that the chemo he is on isn't working. Sunny has also been bleeding from his anus. I was aware of this, but frankly I think I was in denial and told myself that it was a hemorrhoid from all his diarrhea. But the sore on his back end is not a hemorrhoid, but an external tumor. In any case, the vet feels that Sunny is in pain. So as of tonight, Sunny is now on pain meds. We are going to try another chemo starting tomorrow, but the vet is preparing me to make some difficult decisions in the New Year. When I tell you that I can't handle one more issue or loss, I am NOT kidding. There is just so much one individual can bear! 

This photo was taken in June of 2021. We closed on the house that month and were working on renovating it. I snapped this photo of Sunny in his new backyard. Life was much happier back then and wish I could reverse the hands of time.  

No comments: