Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 21, 2023

Thursday, December 21, 2023

Thursday, December 21, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken on December 5, 2002. It was Mattie's first Christmas. We had a dusting of snow that day, and I thought it would make the perfect backdrop for our first family Christmas card. I dressed Mattie up in his Santa suit, dragged out his entertainment saucer and we started to snap photos. I can't tell you how many photos we took that day, this being one of them. It wasn't the one that made it to the front of the card, but nonetheless it was still precious! If you are wondering who Mattie was looking up at it, it was me. He tracked my every move!


Quote of the day: Grief, I now understand, is a sort of madness, in the same way that falling in love is madness. ~ Patrick Swayze


It is 8:30pm and it is the first time I am sitting down to catch up on the day. It has been non-stop today with chores, tasks, demands, and the list goes on. I would have to say as Christmas is approaching, my feelings of sadness and feeling isolated have doubled. I have survived a lot in my life, but this Fall and approaching Winter are one of the darkest in my life. This afternoon, I took my parents out to eat because I just couldn't stay home one more minute. While out, I saw decorations, friends and families gathering at the restaurant, and none of this brought me joy or happiness. Instead, it made me further depressed. By the time I got my parents back in the car, I truly wasn't sure if it was worth making it through another day. 

I can only hope that with tomorrow, a wake up with a different lens and outlook. 


No comments: