Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 9, 2024

Friday, February 9, 2024

Friday, February 9, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2003. At ten months old, Mattie was full of curiosity and desperately wanted to walk. Which was why "tot wheels" was a miracle. Mattie loved moving independently, zooming around our first floor and of course following me where ever I went. What I distinctly remember was that Mattie's hands and fingers were like antennas. Mattie would put his hands up and his fingers would move through the air, as if he was absorbing his surroundings through the passing of air over his hands! 


Quote of the day: I believe that dogs are sent to us to open our hearts. ~ Tamar Geller


This is one of my favorite photos! It captured the playful and funny side of Sunny! What a face, if he was human, you would say he was smiling! 

Tonight's quote is spot on! Sunny entered our lives in 2016, and he reopened our hearts in a profound way after Mattie died. I know that Sunny got me outside, walking, interacting with the world again, talking to people, and through our bond, I became happier. He brought me joy, love, and was a loyal companion to the end. He is unforgettable. 








My mom and I met up with my friend Junko today. Junko came into my life when Mattie started his elementary school in 2007. In fact, the summer of 2007, I enrolled Mattie in a day camp at his new school, in hopes that he would get to know the campus and make some friends before the school year started. 

Mattie was very shy and cautious and was not happy to be dropped off in the school's gym, and separate from me. His camp teacher wouldn't let me in the room at drop off time. However, by day 2, I did not follow her request, and instead walked into the gym, holding Mattie's hand. I knew Mattie needed some support connecting with a friend. That was when I spotted Junko's son, Kazu. I literally walked over to Kazu and asked him if he knew anyone in the gym. He said no! I told him that Mattie did not know anyone either, so perhaps they could be friends and stick together. Both boys seemed to like that idea! Needless to say, once Mattie befriended Kazu, he had a much better time in camp. Naturally through the boys, I met Junko. 

Mattie's elementary school had weekly chapel services for the children and parents were invited. Every Tuesday, I attended chapel and guess who my seat mate was in chapel? That is right, Junko. Through our Tuesday gatherings we got to know and appreciate one another. Of course when Mattie was diagnosed with cancer, I did not lose my chapel mate. Instead, Junko came often to the hospital. She introduced me to lobster rolls, other treats, and even provided me with neck and back massages in the parent's lounge of pediatric units. All of Mattie's nurses knew Junko and when they saw Junko coming, they would basically tell me that they were happy Junko was there because they knew she took good care of ME. 

We had a special lunch with Junko. The thing is we have already been through a nightmare together, Mattie's diagnosis and death, so connecting, sharing thoughts and feelings come very easily for us. I would have to say that Mattie provided many gifts in my life, and Junko is one of them. 

Junko showered me with lots of gifts and cards today. These are just a few of them and as Valentine's Day is approaching, I am deeply honored and touched that friends are here to remind me that I matter. That I am loved, and that I am special to them. 

No comments: