Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 7, 2024

Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2003. Mattie was ten months old and a very curious fellow. He was zooming around our first floor in his "tot wheels" and noticed that this piece of furniture had a drawer. So naturally Mattie worked on finding a way to slowly open the drawer to see what was inside! 


Quote of the day: The bond with a dog is as lasting as the ties of this earth can ever be. ~ Konrad Lorenz


Today marks the first month anniversary of Sunny's death. I LOVE this photo. Sunny's physical therapist used to call Sunny, THE PROFESSOR. She always told me that she did not know who was learning more from the other.... Sunny from her, or her from Sunny. 

After Sunny completed his physical therapy from his first knee surgery, his therapist put on a graduation cap and snapped this photo! I miss that face, those beautiful eyes, and that adorable nose. I will always love this incredible boy. 



This was this morning's view of our street. Trucks everywhere. It is what life looks like when living in a construction zone. For the most part, I try to ignore it, which means ignoring chaos, constant noise, and debris. Unfortunately when all of this is over neighbors don't get a trip to Disneyworld! I am kidding of course and I am grateful this is happening in cold weather months, because as it starts getting warmer, many of us would like to reclaim our outdoor space and peace.


After my mom had her first physical therapy session at home today, I took her out for tea. Our Starbucks is like my local Cheers! Literally we know all the people who work there and have gotten to know many of the regular patrons. It has a lovely community feeling and during our time there, we regroup and have the opportunity to feel more normal for an hour or two. I am so grateful for this escape, and what it reminds me is that the most important things in life are connecting with people. 

A person who I consider dear and supportive in my life each day wrote me yesterday and highlighted what she read in an article about caregiving. Basically in the article, the caregiver in question changed her attitude about her role. For example, instead of saying... I have to take my mom to her doctor's appointment, reframe it by thinking.... I GET to take my mom to her appointment. It is a subtle difference but it does matter. As a caregiver it is very easy to get task oriented and forget the process and the connection you have with the person under your care. Which is why stepping back and seeing the whole picture is vital time and again. 

Later today, I had an encounter with an individual who wanted me to know how much she admires my strength, compassion, courage, and commitment to my parents. She let me know that she cared for her aunt with dementia for ONE WEEK, and after that she felt like she needed a month's vacation. She has no idea how I care for two parents simultaneously and haven't had a break in over two years. I have no answers, other than this is me. I love deeply, care deeply, and take my responsibilities to those I love seriously. With caregiving, I have learned (over the years) that you have to give it your all because you don't get a second chance to get it right. 

No comments: