Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 20, 2024

Saturday, April 20, 2024

Saturday, April 20, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2003. Mattie was one year old. He was beginning to toddle around by holding onto furniture and our hands. Mattie used to love looking at this photo as he got older! In particular, if you look at the photo below, you will see what I mean. This photo was literally the before and the one below was the after!






This photo was taken in May of 2006, three years after the one above! Look at that big smile... he was proud that he was growing taller!











Quote of the day: My little dog—a heartbeat at my feet. ~ Edith Wharton


So much in life is the little things. This afternoon, I had to create more daily checklists for my dad. I started checklists about two years ago with him. Without a checklist, my dad will brush his teeth about five or six times in one morning, use mouthwash like water, and shave multiple times. The checklist helps him keep track of his bathroom activities. I think the checklist helped him for a year or so, but now his mental decline is so significant. Even with the checklist, he forgets to check it, and does things repeatedly. I now have to regulate toothpaste and mouthwash, otherwise, he will go through a tube/bottle in a week! My dad's decline is noteworthy, sad, and frustrating at times. As I was printing out daily checklists for May, June, and July, I naturally reflected on my dad's Alzheimer's disease, but I also reflected on my marriage.

Each time I print out a season of checklists, I say to myself... maybe next season will be better for me. So far I have survived the fall, winter, and now moving into the spring. It is funny how the mind works, thinking and hoping that things can change for the better. But at the end of the day, I am a realist. I am not sure what keeps me going day to day. 

I took my parents out to lunch today. My dad had a full meal. When we got home, I got him toileted and then back in his recliner. Within minutes he said..... do you think we should go out for a meal so you don't have to cook? The sentiment is lovely, but honestly I lost it. I had just finished a full journey out that I find it absolutely incredible he did not remember traveling in the car, he did not remember eating, he did not remember our conversation, and basically it is very demoralizing. Naturally I know my dad can't help it, but it is a disease that can make the caregiver feel beyond unstable and given my current situation, I do not need any help. 

No comments: