Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 3, 2011

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2006, as Mattie celebrated his fourth birthday. He had a dinosaur themed party that year, and we held his event at a local nature center. Mattie loved that party because he got to touch things like snakes and other creatures that I wasn't thrilled to see. Mattie was very excited that morning before his party and he was very eager to see his cake and share the day with his preschool friends!


Quote of the day: Sometimes the best therapy I can recommend is getting a new puppy or kitten. It's not a betrayal of their other pet; it's just a new beginning and a way to move past the grief. ~ Julie Breault

Tonight's quote intrigued me. Many of us have experienced the close, special, and tender bond with a pet. However, when your close furry friend dies, it can be a very difficult loss to accept. Our pets mean a great deal to us, and I think in many cases, with family and friends geographically so spread out now a days, our pets become a significant part of our daily lives. As I read this quote, I certainly understand the sentiment behind it, and the need for a new beginning. I have had people talk to me over these past few months about establishing a new beginning. Whether that be moving, returning to work, starting a new career, and the list goes on.

The problem with a NEW BEGINNING, is that means in many ways that you have reached some sort of closure on your former life. Or if not closure, you have willingly decided to close a chapter and open up a new one. Exactly how does that work though when you have lost a child to cancer? New beginnings are not possible, because I never elected to this forcible change in my life. I have a life, and it is different from what I imagined it to be, but it is most definitely not a new beginning. Or a beginning I would wish upon anyone. I also think replacing one loss by adding something else isn't always the best solution. Clearly when grieving big decisions are hard to make, and one isn't always thinking straight.

Tomorrow is Mattie's ninth birthday. For Peter and I, it is a day we shall never forget. I was in labor for practically 48 hours, I had a raging fever during labor and delivery, and it was on April 4, 2002, that I first developed a severe headache. A headache that has never left me. On the days I wonder if I was ever a mom, I just think back to April 4, 2002, and realize that I have lasting physical signs of Mattie's birth. Clearly I have a c-section scar and these chronic headaches. Headaches strangely enough remind me of the day I became a mom, and though I would love to know what it feels like to be normal again, I realize these headaches are symbolic of a bigger picture.

Most parents reading this blog know how to celebrate their child's birthday! It may involve sending out invitations, a party, a family gathering, food, and/or cake. However, how to you celebrate the birthday of your child, if he/she died from cancer? The answer is NOT simple. I can assure you Hallmark doesn't make a card for Peter and I, wishing us a happy birthday to your dead son. Most people in our lives are not sure even how to handle the day. Don't feel bad, because neither do we! However, what I do know is not talking about Mattie's birthday and people not acknowledging the day doesn't feel right. Because that instead means that Mattie has been forgotten. I spoke to Peter today through Skype and though he is working around the clock, he too is perplexed about tomorrow.

In the midst of this great sadness, I received several wonderful pictures from Carey, Lauren's mom. As many of my faithful readers know, Lauren is 13 years old and is an osteosarcoma survivor.
 
I met Carey electronically in September of 2008, when her sister introduced her to Mattie's blog. Lauren and Mattie were both diagnosed with osteosarcoma about a week apart from each other. Though Lauren lives in Pennsylvania, Carey and I became instant e-mail buddies as we were both fighting for our children's lives against the same horrific disease.
 
We went through similar treatment protocols and we certainly spent endless days and nights in the hospital. It helped to have an osteosarcoma mom to go through this with.
 
As Peter and I were planning this year's Walk, the theme, Faces of Hope developed. The first face that came to mind was Lauren's. Lauren faces each day with remarkable strength and courage and she uses her cancer experience to educate others and to make her community aware of childhood cancer. Particularly osteosarcoma, which is a form of bone cancer that does not get enough attention from the research and medical communities. The treatment for osteosarcoma, from a parent's perspective is barbaric, because it involves removing bones from your child's body, and then exposing your child to massive amounts of toxic drugs. Drugs which have devastating side effects! Drugs that originated in the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s. There has been NO new drug developed to treat osteosarcoma in all these years!  
 
Lauren will be at our Walk this year on May 22, and will be addressing participants as she shares her experience battling cancer as well as the impact it has had on her and her family. Lauren established a non-profit called Bows for Hope. This non-profit grew out of a simple class assignment. However, Lauren brought the class assignment to life and actually created hair bows out of colorful duct tape and began selling the bows at her middle school. She decided to do this since so many people commented on how much they liked her bows. 
 
Lauren has had multiple bow sales at school and has raised thousands of dollars. However, the amazing and very touching part is Lauren's non-profit's mission is to raise money for the Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation.  
 
In February, Lauren emailed me and asked whether I would write a letter on her behalf to the Shurtech Brand tape company (www.shurtech.com) requesting donated duct tape. Lauren wanted the tape so she could make bows to sell at the upcoming Mattie Miracle Cancer Walk. A face of hope designing bows for hope. It doesn't get better than that! I LOVED the idea and was happy to write the letter. Last week, Lauren emailed me to share the good news. Shurtech sent her a box filled with colorful duct tape!!! So the bow making process begins. Lauren has a whole team of friends who help her with production.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
From my perspective Lauren is a very special 13 year old, and as soon as I heard the good news, I asked her to take several pictures of the donated product. So today, I have the pleasure of sharing this beautiful face with you, who as you can see is modeling a very pretty pink duct tape bow. I can't wait to see the finished products! I am intrigued by Lauren's tshirt and I have a feeling she creates her own tshirts to market her bows!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation is so happy to have teenagers like Lauren and Noah (our other face of hope, who is also an osteosarcoma survivor) representing us, speaking out about childhood cancer, and making a difference to help other children and families with cancer. To me they are outstanding role models for children and teens and they are wonderful reminders and motivators for why Peter and I do the work we do each and every day as a Foundation.

No comments: