Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 5, 2011

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 -- Mattie died 82 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken at Mattie's fourth birthday party. We held this party at a local nature center and the theme was dinosaurs. As you can see here, Mattie was about to blow out the candles, but before he did this, he decided to pull me over and ask me something. Knowing Mattie, he most likely was asking me what to wish for before he blew out the candles! Who knew, at age 4, that the ultimate thing to wish for was good health.

Quote of the day: We talk about the tasks of grief. Emotionally, we have to acknowledge the loss. The second task is to experience the pain. What happens when you are going through a trial, you are still in the pain. Hearing the graphic testimony is like taking a razor blade and slitting open a scar. Initially, with a shocking death like that, you go numb right away, and a year later, you hear the details, you are more aware. ~ Eileen Schmidt


I began my day by doing Foundation work, licensure board tasks, and preparing for the Matisse presentation on Wednesday. This will be the second session in a three part series. As the day wore on, I did some chores, and while out I received a text message from Shayla, Mary's caregiver. Shayla let me know that Mary missed seeing me, was worried about me, and wanted me to come over and visit and have lunch with her. Despite having things to do, I felt I couldn't turn down such an invitation. Especially when I knew Mary was worried about me and my reaction to Mattie's 9th birthday.

When I got to Mary's assisted living facility, we all had lunch together. Shayla and I were chatting, and involving Mary along the way. Shayla wanted to know how I spent Mattie's 9th birthday and how I was doing with all of this. I very much appreciated the opportunity to talk about this. However, at one point, Shayla and I noticed that Mary was disengaged. So I then asked Mary if our talking was bothering her and if she wanted us to stop. She motioned with her head, NO! I explained to Mary that it would be okay if she did not want to hear any noise, and as I was talking, I distinctly remembered Mattie's reaction to noise. I then asked Mary if she wanted us to continue talking and she said YES. I know Mary appreciates hearing dialogue and even when you think she isn't listening or processing what you are saying, SHE IS!


While Mary was resting this afternoon, I headed to Mattie's school, to meet with Donna. As many of my readers know, Donna is a kindergarten teacher at Mattie's school, and she is the teacher who has graciously invited me into her classroom to interact with her students. Last week we covered Picasso and this week, we are highlighting Matisse. On my way to Donna's classroom, I stopped off at Mattie's tree on campus. This little oak is beginning to bud, and as you can see many of the origami cranes that Junko and her mom created for Mattie's tree gathering (on Mattie's one year anniversary, in which his friends got to attach a crane to the tree in honor of their friend) are still attached to the tree. That in and of itself is remarkable, considering the wind, rain, and not to mention the snow we had this winter. Today, I added the pretty big blue butterfly to the tree, in honor of Mattie's 9th birthday. It was a windy day, and the chimes attached to Mattie's tree were twinkling away and almost calling attention to his presence.




Before I left Donna's classroom today, she gave me a special magnet. It is already up on my refrigerator, next to my most favorite angel. Though Mattie was not in Donna's classroom, Donna and I have connected on a very meaningful level. While chatting about tomorrow's lesson, we had tea together, and are continuing to get to know each other better. In a way, Donna is another gift given to me by Mattie.

















While chatting with Donna, I had the opportunity to interact with Bob Weiman (aka "Magic Man"), the head of the lower school. Bob showed me a project he and the school are working on using QR codes. Naturally being technologically challenged, I had no idea what Bob was talking about. Then he showed me an example and explained the concept to me. The maze like picture on the left is a QR code. QR codes are black and white squares that you may see in magazines, on signs, and online. They have the potential to do some remarkable things. A QR Code is a two-dimensional barcode, which has encoded in it a URL (web address), text, or other information. It can be read by a QR code scanner, including QR scanner smartphone apps. QR codes storing addresses and URLs may appear in magazines, on signs, buses, business cards, or on just about any object about which users might need information. Users with a camera phone equipped with the correct reader application can scan the image of the QR Code to display text, contact information, connect to a wireless network, or open a web page in the phone's browser. This act of linking from physical world objects is known as a hardlink or physical world hyperlinks. So basically we are getting to the point where all we will have to do is scan objects into our phones and data will pop up. We will not need to type in information.

As I told Bob and Donna today, they are both introducing me to the world of technology in education. When Mattie developed cancer, the University I worked at was just bringing in all sorts of technology into the classroom. But I never learned to use a smart board (which is basically an interactive chalk board, except there is NO chalk, and instead the board is literally like a computer screen in which you can touch the whiteboard with your fingers and get it to perform, surf the web, and so forth). It has been a real learning experience to see what the cutting edge technology is like now in the classroom!

This evening, I went back to visit Mary and helped her with dinner. After dinner, she proceeded to tell me that she considers herself lucky. I must admit I had to stop and think about that. After all, she lost her son to cancer at a young age, she recently lost her husband, and she herself is dealing with a progressive neurological disease. When I asked Mary why she considers herself lucky, her response was because she has a friend like me. A beautiful comment, which is very needed during a challenging week.

As I drove home this evening, I noticed as soon as I got off the highway, that there were police everywhere. They blockaded all the roads to my home. It must have been a 15 block radius impacted by this. Literally I sat on the road, with hundreds of other cars for 45 minutes. We all shut our cars off and just sat there, until the President and his motorcade drove by. I have to tell you based on how I was feeling, I wasn't happy about sitting in my car with hundreds of people, barricaded from accessing my home.

I would like to end tonight's posting with two messages. The first message is from Mattie's oncologist and our friend. Kristen wrote, "Vicki...thank you again for coming to meet me yesterday. It was such a great night. Peter....we missed you! Have a safe trip tomorrow back home! And...this Tuesday and everyday...thinking of you and thinking of your sweet Mattie."

The second message is from my friend, and our Walk raffle chair, Carolyn. Carolyn wrote, "Last night when we finally got home (after 8pm) – it was gorgeous outside – warm and breezy – and Ellie and I stayed outside for a few minutes to listen to the neighbor’s wind chimes. Every time I hear these chimes I think of Mattie – so we “lingered” in the beautiful weather and looked up at the sky and wished Mattie a Happy Birthday. Leave it to Mattie to give us all a gift on his birthday – a gorgeous spring day!"

1 comment:

Maureen Valois said...

Dear Vicki,

I just cannot imagine!!! You are such an inspiration!!!