Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 24, 2012

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2004. Mattie and Peter were pictured with Gladys, Peter's maternal grandmother. Gladys was recuperating in a convalescent hospital in Connecticut, and we drove up from Washington, DC to spend time with her. Mattie was only two years old, but most definitely a live wire. I wanted Mattie and Gladys to have this time together, and Mattie understood that this visit was not about his entertainment and running around, but instead that we required him to stay in the room with us. With that in mind, I packed a large bag full of toys, puzzles, Legos, and other things to keep him engaged. I know Gladys had a wonderful time watching him in motion as he played. You may also notice that in front of Gladys was a colorful plate. The plate was actually one of Mattie's second birthday plates, with a red train on it. Mattie knew we were going to bring Gladys food (since like me Gladys was motivated by food), and he suggested using one of his birthday plates to cheer her up! Which was a very good idea. 


Quote of the day: Without empathy there is no way forward for civilization. ~ James O'dea


Peter and I spent the whole day at home today doing various chores. Despite the heat, we were in our garden and were visited by birds and now several butterflies. New to our deck is a tiny white spotted butterfly who has just begun visiting us this week. In fact, while eating lunch outside today, this butterfly was fluttering all around me.   

Besides our butterfly visits, Peter and I, found three pennies on the street this week. All reminders of Mattie for us. On one hand it is comforting that within our world there are objects and gifts from nature that keep Mattie's presence alive and real for us, but on the other hand, I am not sure I will ever look upon any of this as okay. Will I ever be at peace with the fact that Mattie is not a part of our lives? My hunch is NO! Will weekends as they exist now, ever be normal for us? The answer to that is also NO! I reflect upon every season, all four of which are impossible (fall - I remember school and Mattie's death; winter - I remember Christmas; spring - I remember Mattie's birthday; and summer - I remember Mattie's diagnosis), yet summer maybe the hardest one of all. Mattie was diagnosed on July 23, two days before my birthday. Once a happy month for me, July now signifies all sorts of trauma and loss. Compounded with that, summer is perceived to be... filled with vacations and families. I can assure you it becomes an internal struggle to figure out how to cope with each and every day moving forward.  

No comments: