Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 14, 2012

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Sunday, October 14, 2012


Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2008. Mattie and his big buddy, Brandon, were in the Child Life Playroom at the Hospital. These two buddies were at least ten years apart in age, and yet they connected and helped each other in numerous ways. The structure sitting in front of them in this photo was a Mattie and Brandon creation. A creation made out of LOTS of popsicle sticks. Mattie was the ultimate builder. He could work with just about any material and always found a way to make it structurally sound. A real gift!


Quote of the day: Don't be content in your life just to do no wrong. Be prepared every day to try to do some good. ~ Nicholas Winton


On certain occasions I have the opportunity to see not only children who are Mattie's age (if he were alive today), but children who knew Mattie and were actually friends with him. This is a challenging position to be in, which is why I have talked to other moms who have also lost a child to cancer and asked them how they handle and feel about such a situation. Believe it or not, there is NO standard answer. Some of us feel good to see our child's friends, because they connect us to our loss, and others find this beyond overwhelming and sad. Of course there are also feelings that lie all along the continuum. I am not sure where I am with this, and frankly I think it depends on the day. Since I know my reaction could be different based on my own vulnerabilities, needs, and how I am feeling physically and emotionally.

This afternoon, I had the opportunity to see one of Mattie's closest friends, Zachary. Mattie and Zachary were practically inseparable in preschool, in fact, for them it was like friendship at first sight. They met on the first day of school, and were instantly drawn to each other. Over the two years they were in preschool together, Mattie and Zachary spent a great deal of time together after school. They spent so much time playing that I would say other than my own child, Zachary became a close second for me. I knew his highs and lows, his preferences, and his likes and dislikes. Yet Zachary and I haven't spent much time together naturally since Mattie died from cancer. Yet when I saw Zachary in a group setting today with other kids, I could just sense we related to each other. Words weren't necessary, it was just a camaraderie we share because of our times together. Others may not have felt it, or even observed it, but I sensed it immediately. I could see it based on his checking in with me and looking to me for approval as to what he was doing. 

This interaction really came at the right time in my life, because there are days and moments when I worry about forgetting that I was a mom. One's mind can play tricks on you in grief, and as more time goes by, I wonder if I ever really was a mom. Seeing Zachary today answered that doubt, because in his own subtle way (and unintentionally, which is the beauty of this) he reminded me that I was a mom, Mattie's mom, and we will always have a connection with each other because of their amazing bond.   
 

No comments: