Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 31, 2013

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 -- Mattie died 224 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2007. We have very few photos with all three of us in them. This was perhaps one of the few Christmas photos we have as a threesome. Which is why I suppose it is so special to me.




Quote of the day: Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it. ~ Confucius

On behalf of Peter and I, we want to thank you for your wonderful contributions in support of Mattie Miracle over the course of this month (during our annual drive)! We can't think of a better holiday gift you could have given us. All that we accomplish would not be possible without you! A sincere thank you and we wish you all the best of health and happiness in 2014! 


I began my day with an email from a person I do not know. The message read:

========================================
I recently learned about a very safe and effective treatment for cancer, especially childhood cancer, that might have saved Mattie's life if only you had known about it. I want to do whatever I can to make it known and available to cancer patients throughout America, and I am looking for groups like yours to help in that fight. I am willing to have a set of 2 DVD's all about this treatment sent to someone who is sincerely interested in it, if you will just tell me who to send it to.

This treatment was discovered several years ago, has none of the side effects of chemo and radiation, and has been proven effective in stage 3 clinical trials. It would completely revolutionize cancer treatment as we know it today, and therein lies the problem. The big drug companies could not make a profit on it, and the entire system based on chemotherapy and radiation would collapse. The drug companies have convinced the FDA not to make it available in this country. I believe that keeping this treatment from those who so desperately need it is criminal, and I am looking for people who are willing to take on what will be a major battle against big PhRMA and the FDA. Will you help?

=========================================

I am sure while reading the message above, you may have different feelings about it from FANTASTIC send me the DVDs to ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!! Unfortunately my response was the latter. She particularly LOST me when she made it personal and said that I might have been able to save Mattie if I knew about this treatment!!!! What a lovely New Year's Eve gift to receive. A message from a stranger letting me know that I possibly did not do all that I could to save my child. I really question the integrity of this message. 

In any case, Mattie Miracle gets many solicitations and inquiries from professionals, individuals, and hospitals throughout the year. The key is to know which ones are sincere and legitimate. Naturally ALL of us want a cure for childhood cancer but the message above is NOT such hope. Instead it is falsehood that could possibly cause parents to decide not to use standard treatments to fight a horrific disease. 

Needless to say the medical treatment of cancer interests me and in all reality it must interest any one whose life has been touched by cancer. Yet at the end of the day, this is not where my passion lies. Instead it lies with direct emotional and psychological support of children and their families with cancer. The day to day management and life time management of the disease. I wish there were magic beans out there that would cure our children so that no family has to experience the death of a child to cancer, but no such thing exists and I resent those who prey on the desperation of others.  

This evening, I asked Peter if he remembered our first New Year's Eve with Mattie. That would be December 31, 2002. Mattie was eight months old. We had put Mattie down for bed earlier in the evening with the hopes that he would sleep through part of the night. However, about ten minutes to midnight, Mattie started crying and wanted out of his crib. None of this surprised us since Mattie did not sleep through the night until he was 15 months old. That was only because we read about the Ferber method and trained him to sleep! Any case, that New Year's Eve I brought Mattie downstairs and he sat with us while watching the ball drop in Times Square. We took that as a direct sign that Mattie wanted to ring in the New Year as a family. 

Since Mattie died, Peter nor I have the desire to watch the ball drop or anything associated with Times Square. In so many ways time marches on, but for us transitioning from one year to another truly has no meaning to us. Because each day is a day without Mattie, I no longer track it by years. I remember New Year's Eve of 2009. I was actually scared to move into 2010, a new year without Mattie's presence in it. As I watch my friend in cancer go through this now, it is ironic that she feels the same way I did in 2009. Even without us talking about it. I remember that fear that first year, but now the fears are different. 



This evening I went out to dinner with my parents. While at dinner, I observed a couple with an only child. The little boy had to be about four years old. As I stared at this family, it reminded me of me. Well except Mattie never sat down quietly at dinner. This little boy tonight was glued to an i-pad the whole dinner. That NEVER would have worked with Mattie! Mattie was all about stimulation and interpersonal connection. 


This is a photo of one the star lined streets in my parent's neighborhood. There is something quite magical about seeing stars in every front yard!





This is a view of the valley at night from my parent's neighborhood. Another magical sight!  

No comments: