Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 29, 2013

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2008. Mattie was in the hospital and getting used to life in a wheelchair. After Mattie's second limb salvaging surgery in November he never walked again. This was a huge adjustment in and of itself, much less having to battle cancer. That day a friend came to visit and she gave Mattie Christmas stockings and a cute magnetic Santa. Mattie attached Santa to his wheelchair and decided to wear the Christmas stockings rather than hang them up!







Quote of the day: You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt


My mom and I went for a walk this morning around her neighborhood's track. While walking, my mom told me she noticed something moving out of the corner of her eye, like a big dog. Though I love dogs, I tend not to like encounters with stray dogs. However as we got closer to the moving target, we noticed they were deer. A mom and her baby in tow. I did not have my camera with me so I got out my blackberry (I can hear Peter screaming as I write this!) and snapped a photo of this scene. I realize this isn't very clear, but if you look closely you can see mama deer looking at me and baby deer was eating.


While walking around the track we bumped into one of my parents friends who lives in the neighborhood. I have met this neighbor before on previous trips. Any case he greeted us and as a caveat I should say that he has a very upbeat, high energy, and positive personality. As he was talking about his mom who is ill he mentioned that "God answers all prayers." Hearing this saying or platitude almost elicits an automatic response. It is almost Pavlovian in a way for me. Maybe because I have heard it SO often when Mattie was battling cancer. Nonetheless, my response to this is, "No God doesn't answer all prayers. He may hear all prayers but they aren't always answered." He began to counter my statement and said that we are all God's creatures and therefore not all of us are guaranteed a long time on this earth, some of us get called back sooner like Mattie. I am not sure if this was supposed to make me feel any better, but on the contrary what it produced was more agitation. I accept that all of us deal with grief and loss differently, but when I feel people are pontificating to me or suggesting that I need to deal with my grief in the same way as they do/did, that is when I get very defensive. 

I think religion and spirituality are personal issues for people on a good day and can be difficult topics to talk about. Now add into the mix a tragedy, loss, or misfortune, and a person can be all over the map about God. Because I have issues with God's decision to take Mattie, doesn't mean that I do not believe in God and that I am no longer Catholic. I have many people thinking this about me, which just isn't true. I think God is certainly powerful enough to understand my anger and my disbelief in Mattie's death and yet also know that coming to terms with all of this has to be on my time schedule. Not society's!


In addition to deer sightings, we also had a bunny encounter. There is a patch of grass near my parent's street which attracts bunnies. By dusk, they all come on out to eat. As you can see this fellow caught me spying on him. He had his eye and ears on me. 


This afternoon, we all went to see a play called Mom's Gift. This is a world premiere comedy with a heart. The plot entails a mom who has been dead for 11 months and shows up at her husband’s birthday party as a ghost with a mission. Like Clarence in “It’s A Wonderful Life,” she has to accomplish a task to earn her wings. Only what the task actually is, is a mystery.

I have seen this small theater group perform many shows in the past, but I would have to say this one may have been one of their best. The six actor cast was fantastic and the story line was much more complex and deeper than your average Christmas story. It was a real tearjerker. In many ways the mom was sent back to earth as a ghost to help her family members resolve many of the interpersonal conflicts between them. At the core all the dysfunction is a result of miscommunication or perhaps LACK of communication as well as the issues associated with grief and loss. Each of the characters in the play were dealing with the death of the "mom" in different ways and it was interesting to hear this dialogue unfold. I think discussing grief is no easy feat and yet this story did it in a very meaningful and heartwarming manner. Needless to say, just like in "A Wonderful Life" a bell was wrung at the end of the play and we we are left happy knowing that this mom's mission on earth was accomplished and she was granted her wings. 

No comments: