Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 25, 2014

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 -- Mattie died 237 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2009. Mattie was in the hospital's clinic and that day they were visited by United Airlines. The employees came to deliver teddy bears. As you can see Mattie not only accepted a bear but agreed to take a photo with several of the United representatives that day. Mattie had a big smile and clearly was in a happy mood. That wasn't always the case with a clinic visit. So capturing such a moment and seeing it now really in a way caught me off guard. These are not moments I remember too frequently. 



Quote of the day: If suffering brings wisdom, I would wish to be less wise. ~ William Butler Yeats


We are almost at the end of March and we had MORE snow today! It becoming a joke in DC. Everyone is sick of it! Kids too! It is no longer fun, cute, or peaceful. Now it is just wearing, depressing, and we are all ready for it to be over. We are ready for spring. Despite the grayness, cold, and snow, I went to zumba class this morning. I was the only one who showed up! However, thankfully my teacher held class for me anyway. As my faithful readers know, Jenny isn't only my zumba teacher, but her daughter was in Mattie's kindergarten class. Mattie connected me with so many people. After he died, I have found that it takes a lot more work to keep certain connections and ties that once existed alive. After all, Peter and I no longer travel in the same social circles as our friends and therefore are not interested in the same things. That may sound like very subtle differences but these are actually huge differences, because it is like putting together couples with children and couples who are empty nesters. The commonalities and priorities are just different. Yet the analogy is still not accurate because even with empty nesters, an update can be given about their children and the involvement that they have in their lives. 
 

I spent the rest of the day working on different things from home and then the natural excitement to my afternoon was a "Baby Falcon" sighting on Mary's bird feeders which I just added to our commons area. This evening Peter went out and snapped several photos for me. That is how long this bird has been hanging out all day! His mom/dad which also canvases our area is massive and a daunting bird to have around. This baby is a lot smaller and actually is very photogenic and doesn't mind posing. As you can clearly see. The baby has flown onto our deck, has sat on the bird feeders, and is swooping all around. It has scared away all my sparrows for the day, so I am ready for it to move along!

No comments: