Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 5, 2014

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2007. Though it is unusual to have snow on the ground in March, we had snow that year (not unlike this year). With whatever snow Mattie could find, he scooped up enough to make snow castles. Not unlike Mattie's sand castles, he liked to decorate all his structures. Mattie had quite a rock collection on our deck, since he collected a rock from just about where ever he went. As you can see Mattie decided to use his rocks to finish off his castles. Many of Mattie's rocks and shells are now in our deck fountains (fountains which Mattie made with Peter's help for my birthday in 2008 -- days before Mattie's cancer diagnosis).


Quote of the day: Keep your eyes open to your mercies. The man who forgets to be thankful has fallen asleep in life. ~ Robert Louis Stevenson


Peter flew to Florida today for work and will be there for two days. I am used to Peter traveling, he has been doing this all our married life. However, it is far more difficult now that Mattie has died. Especially when I haven't been feeling well. I am officially over the flu and a sinus infection, but when the flu developed so did an overwhelming headache. A headache which hasn't lightened up for almost a month now and day in and day out of this intensity is down right debilitating. I am sure it is almost impossible to imagine an intense headache for a month, but I am not making it up! Fortunately all my neurologists have believed me over the years, but couldn't find a solution to my problem. I am thankful that I do not have to explain these pains to Peter, yet it feels depressing not to feel good for so long. 

Despite how I was feeling today, I had some important chores to address. As tonight's quote points out, thankfulness is very important in life. Mattie Miracle has the good fortune of having outstanding volunteers who help us coordinate the Foundation's annual Walk. An event that really requires a team, we couldn't do what we do without these individuals. On Monday, Peter and I are hosting a Walk committee meeting with our volunteers. As a thank you to these outstanding people, we are catering a lovely meal, with all sorts of foods, wine, and desserts. This is something Peter and I pay for from our personal finances, not through the Foundation. It would be a shame if we didn't acknowledge our friends in this way and as Stevenson indicated, it would be equivalent to being asleep in life. 

No comments: