Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 13, 2015

Monday, July 13, 2015

Monday, July 13, 2015

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2009. Mattie was in the physical therapy clinic and working with Anna. Though it may seem like Mattie was actually walking, you should know that taking even a couple of steps for Mattie took a herculean effort of strength. Mattie couldn't straighten his right leg, it was constantly bent at the knee from pain and because both of his arms were operated on to remove bone tumors, this did not give him much upper body strength to help to support his lower body. Which was why trying to physically rehabilitate was close to impossible, not to mention his multiple set backs from chemotherapy. Yet despite the set backs, Anna kept Mattie motivated and always gave Peter and I accurate information and advice, which I truly valued and appreciated.  


Quote of the day: The world is so empty if one thinks only of mountains, rivers & cities; but to know someone who thinks & feels with us, & who, though distant, is close to us in spirit, this makes the earth for us an inhabited garden. ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe



Mattie's art therapist, Jenny, who I consider a friend of mine, sent me a NY Times article entitled, The New Child Abuse Panic. Within the article it talks about how a new radical charge filed by doctors and hospitals against parents has erupted and its title is "medical child abuse." Doctors and hospitals claim that such parents get unnecessary or excessive treatment for their kids. Although most of these cases have nothing to do with real child abuse, credulous child welfare officials have too often supported the doctors, threatened parents with loss of custody, and even removed kids from their homes, simply because the parents disagreed with the doctor’s plan of care.

The article goes on to describe the warning signs of medical child abuse which are: “highly attentive parent” who is “unusually reluctant to leave his/her child’s side”; a parent who “demands second and third opinions”; a parent who “is not relieved or reassured when presented with negative test results and resists having the child discharged from the hospital”; and a parent who has “unusually detailed medical knowledge.” 

Of course the problem with this whole label is that any parent who is caring for a child with a special need, a child with a rare medical issue, or a child with a life threatening illness such as cancer is naturally going to have all the qualities listed above. One thing the medical system trains parents to be is hyper-vigilant and assertive, because if you aren't your child will fall through the cracks and the coordination of care will also be questionable. Parents and caregivers serve invaluable roles and therefore one has to be attentive and when physically possible by the child's side. Seeking multiple opinions is also necessary and unfortunately in certain circumstances I would say that negative test results do not always mean much. It could mean that the wrong test was performed or more testing needs to be done, as was the case with Mattie. A parent's instincts and listening to insights of parents are crucial. Parents know the behaviors, temperaments, and overall nature of their children. When even the slightest thing is off, it will be a parent who can pin point it, and doctors need to listen to this and embrace parents as part of the treatment team for medicine to be truly effective. 

I will give you an example which I think illustrates all of this, of course I have many in my Mattie memory databank. But I think this one truly captures the problem. I do think at times several health care professionals at the Hospital thought I spent TOO MUCH TIME with Mattie. I think they thought I fit most if not all of the descriptors of "medical child abuse." In one instance, I even had a PICU nurse separate me from Mattie, because she thought she knew what was in Mattie's best interest and she felt that it was me who was causing his tantrums and pain medicine seeking behavior. Thankfully this was resolved with the help of a reality lesson and the advocacy of our SUPER HEM/ONC nurse, Tricia, who educated this PICU nurse and a doctor on the loving relationship Mattie and I had with each other. The fact that I had to even endure this was ludicrous and it is amazing that under such intense stress, there was such an accusatory atmosphere Peter and I were living under. These are things I will never forget. 

But that is not the example I wanted to share. The example I had in mind has to do with Mattie's condition a year into treatment. By that point, Mattie had finished all his surgeries and completed his chemotherapy. In all intensive purposes, we should have been working on rehabilitation of Mattie's limbs, since technically he was thought to have no evidence of disease. However, Mattie kept complaining of pain and he refused to eat or drink ANYTHING. Not a drop! When we confronted his doctors on this, the thinking at first was that it was a side effect of the chemo. As time wore on, then the thinking changed to the fact that Mattie was selecting not to eat or drink to purposefully be manipulative and to control the situation and me. As to say, he was developing an eating disorder. Keep in mind Mattie was seven! This honestly did not sit well with me, considering too that Mattie was also in intense pain. To placate me they tested him for ulcers, since they were sure that was the explanation for his not eating (which it clearly wasn't!!), then after a month of this nonsense, I couldn't take it any longer! I demanded that Mattie be scanned. The doctors did not want to scan Mattie, because they really believed six weeks off of chemo, Mattie couldn't possibly have cancer! Well guess what? Not only did he have cancer, he had cancer everywhere, which explained the pain!

I remember friends coming to visit me when we were in the hospital. These were friends not familiar with a health care system, nor what it was like living in a PICU 24 by 7. When they observed me interacting with some of the medical staff and getting upset and angered at times, my friends would pull me aside and almost counsel me as to why I was getting this upset and recommending that I perhaps use a different strategy. In fact, even now as a Foundation leader, I come across health care professionals who also advise me and others on this same calm and collective approach that my friends tried to suggest to me that particular day in the hospital. Perhaps that approach works for some parents, but from my experience working with Mattie and even for my own medical issues, being calm and quiet does not get attention or the job done in our health care industry. Being an advocate at times means having to speak up, making people uncomfortable, and doing what is in a patient's best interest to get the best possible care and outcome. If that is your objective and goal, then eventually others will get on board. 

The New Child Abuse Panic:
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/07/12/opinion/sunday/the-new-child-abuse-panic.html?referrer&_r=1

No comments: