Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 14, 2015

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 -- Mattie died 305 week ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2009. Mattie was in the physical therapy clinic working with Anna and Brandon (Mattie's big buddy). Brandon came to join us because he understood that Mattie needed a lot of encouragement and support to participate in therapy. In fact, when Brandon was inpatient battling cancer, he would try to assist Mattie too whenever he felt up to it. To me this photo captures friendship. It reminds me a bit of an oreo cookie, and Mattie was the filling inside and his friends were the cookie, supporting him from both sides..... truly trying to motivate him to walk despite the fact they knew it was painful and how much he feared falling. 


Quote of the day: A cardinal is a representative of a loved one who has passed. When you see one, it means they are visiting you. They usually show up when you most need them or miss them. They also make an appearance during times of celebration as well as despair to let you know they will always be with you. ~ Unknown Author


Though I did not take this stunning photo of this cardinal today, this is in essence what I saw through Mattie's window today. Staring at me while I was working on the computer. I literally was typing away and then all of a sudden a bird flew in and perched on the window sill. It was a cardinal in all his glory. 

I remember first hearing the legend of the cardinal from Tricia, Mattie's favorite HEM/ONC nurse. Tricia told me that when I see a cardinal, it is like getting a visit from Mattie. That it is nature's way of letting me know that he is always with me. Recently Jey, Mattie's CT tech transporter at the Hospital also told me about the beauty of birds and how their singing each day is something that so many of us take for granted yet, each morning no matter what the weather brings, the birds are out their chirping away. These birds are a constant and in a way he told me he likes to think of them as keeping the memories of all of our loved ones alive. They are singing about each one of them. I loved that visual, and since I love feeding the birds, we are guaranteed to have very lively bird chatter in our complex throughout the year. I have to say before we started feeding the
birds with our feeders, the only thing the city attracted was pigeons and squirrels. Now we have all sorts of birds here such as cardinals, blue jays, grackles, red headed finches (pictured on the left), gold finches (pictured on the right), sparrows, and we even saw a cat bird on Saturday. On occasion we even have hummingbirds stopping by on our hummingbird feeders. Needless to say, we I see all these glorious sights, I can't help but pause and think of Mattie. I am not sure prior to Mattie getting cancer and dying, I would have even paused and given nature so much time and attention. But nature helps me feel connected to my son.  

No comments: