Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 11, 2016

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Tonight's picture was taken on February 12, 2008. Mattie was in his room and jumping on his bed with his "girlfriend," Charlotte. Mattie was very fond of Charlotte, and even gave her the plastic ring he got from the dentist. When Mattie gave the ring to Charlotte, he told her it was an engagement ring. Do not ask me how he came up with this, he just did this on his own accord. I had no idea he wanted to do this. What cracks me up about this photo was the simple fact that Mattie had not only his mattress on the bed, but also an inflatable aeromattress on top of his mattress. Literally he went through a phase where he wanted to sleep like this but because of safety reasons, this did not last long. As you can see though, having two mattresses on the bed made for great jumping! Which he introduced Charlotte to that day!


Quote of the day: In all religions, the quickening spirit has been symbolically represented as a bird. At the baptism, when Jesus' body was in the water, the Spirit of Christ descended into it as a dove. ~ Max Heindel

Next week I am scheduled for an hour long MRI, which should be a pip! Especially since my head will be immobilized for the scan. However, before taking the scan, the doctor wanted me to have a blood test. So I went to Virginia Hospital Center today to their outpatient laboratory for this test. This is where I always get my outpatient labs done and never had a problem with it. However, today I learned that the outpatient lab doesn't take my insurance anymore (a new policy!). My insurer works only with Labcorp for all outpatient blood draws. Needless to say I was NOT thrilled. The lady working registration couldn't have been nicer and felt bad that I had to experience this change. I knew it made no sense to take out my frustration on her. In any case, thanks to the power of a smart phone, I quickly looked up a Labcorp facility near the hospital and got that task done.


However, when I got home, I found this sight!!! I have named my dove visitor, Lovie. Lovie literally follows me around on our deck and I suspect she has an injured wing since she can't seem to fly. At one point when I opened the door, I thought she was going to come in. It is bitterly cold outside too, so I assembled a box with a towel for her. We shall see if she migrates in there and I have left seed on the deck for her too. 

But all day, I have been wondering what it means to have a dove come visit you and STAY. Honestly this is very unusual, and I have been feeding the birds for 14 years at our home. The last time Peter and I experienced a Dove visit and encounter, Mattie had cancer, was in pain, and several months later we learned his cancer had metastasized. So I have to admit, doves are like an omen to me. 

Yet I spent a few minutes researching doves today and this is what I found..... 

Doves call you to regain your serenity. Do you feel off balance, or out of step with the world? Are you harried or frazzled? The dove reminds you to take a deep breath and release all your tension and stress.

Operating constantly with a cynical worldview is exhausting. In a situation that is frustrating or upsetting to you, a dove may be encouraging you to wipe the slate clean and start again. 

Stereotypically, the dove is portrayed as white and gentle, sweet and loving. The dove is a symbol of the Holy Spirit in Christian iconography.

Doves call you to regain your serenity.... winging their messages of love to our hearts from the spirit world.

So I would like to think that Lovie is sending me feathered messages from Mattie!


No comments: