Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 18, 2018

Sunday, February 18, 2018

Sunday, February 18, 2018

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2003. Mattie was ten months old. When I saw this photo tonight in my files, I was taken aback with how similar Mattie looks to Peter. This is totally a Peter look and gesture. I never really noticed this before, but there is something to be said to genes. 


Quote of the day: She was struck by the simple truth that sometimes the most ordinary things could be made extraordinary, simply by doing them with the right people... ~ Nicholas Sparks


I am a big Nicholas Sparks fan. A friend of mine from college, introduced me to Sparks years ago. She was studying to be a librarian and was intrigued by all books. For most of my adult life, I have always read more technical writings and not books for fun. Well that was until my friend started sharing the plot of a book she had read. The book was called, The Notebook, by Sparks. I was so captured by the tale she was telling, that I got the book. It was from that moment in time (probably when I was in my 20's), that I began reading fictional books for fun. Though I admit what I find fun reading, many others wouldn't! I prefer books about relationships and loss. 

Sparks' quote, as with a lot of his writings, is spot on. When you are in the company of the "right" person, the ordinary does feel like the extraordinary. It is the presence of that person that is special and therefore whatever you do, seems memorable or extraordinary. I would say that Mattie was such a person for Peter and me. Mattie had a way of making the ordinary seem so different. He got us to look at the world, situations, and experiences in a whole new light. Which is why (besides the simple fact that Mattie was our son) the death of Mattie continues to reverberate throughout our everyday lives. 



When I got home last night, these flowers were waiting me. Notice the roses are orange.... a Mattie Miracle color. In the middle of the roses are rubrum lilies. Which are my all time favorites because of their fragrance. They can brighten up a room, especially in the winter time. Their fragrance transports you right into summer. 
This afternoon, we took Sunny for a walk on Roosevelt Island. He was SO excited, he was practically running on the leash. However, he complied by stopping for a photo! It was 48 degrees, but it felt like spring was trying to pop out. 
Even the ducks were out and about and floating by us!
I affectionately call this "Peter's tree." Peter used to come to the Island and snap photos of this great big tree during each of the seasons. It is amazing to watch the transformation of this space throughout the year. Regardless of the weather though, Roosevelt Island is still a favorite of ours (and that includes Mattie and Sunny!). 

1 comment:

Margy Jost said...

Vicki, the picture of Mattie does resemble Peter when in reality, I see a Mattie picture and see you. My choice of books often is about loss & relationships too! Although reading used to be a favorite way to spend an afternoon, I have read little since 2012.

I look at Mattie's picture and often have the same question how can this beautiful living boy be gone so many years? There is no answer yet I still think the question!