Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 20, 2018

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 -- Mattie died 440 weeks ago today. 


Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2006. Mattie was four years old and I asked him to pose in front of this lovely red bud tree. They are very popular in our DC area and they are electric in color! This tree was outside of one of Mattie's favorite restaurants. You maybe able to tell given Mattie's expression in this photo, that he really wasn't in the mood for pictures and standing still. In usual fashion, Mattie complied but he gave his "false" smile. That smile always indicated to me how Mattie felt about something.




Quote of the day: Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same.Francesca Reigler


This afternoon I met my friend Tina to celebrate her birthday. I did not know Tina when Mattie was alive. I got to meet her through a mutual friend and she came to our Foundation walk. I always consider Tina my first friend that I made after Mattie died. Now Tina is a major Foundation donor and I appreciate her standing behind our work. 
One of the desserts we had today to celebrate Tina's birthday. They were profiteroles stuffed with ice cream. They were delicious and we had a lovely lunch.... not rushed, with a beautiful window view, and wonderful food. 
Later in the day, I took Sunny out for another walk. It was glorious in DC today, with temperatures in the mid 70's! All of the cherry trees in front of the Kennedy Center are thoroughly confused! 
The colors are breath taking, the whole spectrum of pink!
Not only are they beautiful but the fragrance emanating from them is intoxicating. It is hard to believe that it will rain and be cold later in the week, which will most likely kill these beautiful flowers. 
While I was walking Sunny, I had the opportunity to talk with one of the guard dog handlers in front of the embassy near us. Typically we do not talk to each other because he walks an ominous German Shepherd. But today the handler asked me if I wanted to switch dogs, as he said his dog is a "cupcake." I laughed and said.... "some cupcake!" He proceeded to tell me that I would find walking his dog much easier than walking Sunny. He actually said Sunny is too much dog for him to walk. Fascinating to me! Yes Sunny does have a mind of his own when he walks and if there is a squirrel or rat involved, Sunny has no problem running after it. But if you walk Sunny enough, you know what to look out for and how to react and control him. I guess I did not realize others were observing me and saw the art form that I execute every day!

No comments: