Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 12, 2018

Thursday, April 12, 2018

Thursday, April 12, 2018

In honor of my dad's birthday today, I am posting this photo. It was taken in March of 2008. I took Mattie to Los Angeles to stay with my parents for a few days, as I had a conference to travel to in Hawaii. I rarely left Mattie, but he did great and had a wonderful time with my parents. While I was in LA, we took Mattie to the Arboretum. Which is an incredible place in Arcadia, CA. It was one of the stops Mattie always enjoyed returning to. But that makes sense if you knew Mattie.... he was all about being outside. Which is how I grew to love being outdoors, as I was not that way prior to having Mattie. 



Quote of the day: Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: ‘What! You too? I thought I was the only one. ~ C.S. Lewis


Today I went to Reston, VA and met up with my friend, Mary Ann. Mary Ann and I met in graduate school. In fact, we bonded over ethics of counseling. Unlike most of the students in the class, we took the assignments seriously and particularly loved the on-line exercises in which we had to present ethical dilemmas from our daily lives and discuss them with a counseling lens. Mary Ann and I had a field day with this assignment and in the process of communicating about issues, we had the opportunity to express ideas, feelings, and perspectives. You can learn a lot about a person when dialoguing about ethical dilemmas. From that class we became friends. If I had to title this photo, it would be..... through the years, sharing the ups and downs.  


This may look confusing, but this is how L'Auberge (a family run restaurant in Great Falls, VA) presents a birthday dessert. It is a meringue like no other, surrounded by ice cream.
We also had chocolate souffles and you will notice the tea pot! I absolutely love how they serve tea. To me it isn't only about drinking the tea, but what it is served in can make it a special experience.  

No comments: