Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 10, 2019

Thursday, January 10, 2019

Thursday, January 10, 2019

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2004. Mattie absolutely loved boxes. The shape and size always intrigued him and then of course there was the numerous things he could do with a box. Mattie typically liked building and creating with boxes. But then got attached to his creations. We would have things around for a bit, until he and I agreed that taking a photo of some boxed creations would be a good solution. That way we always had documentation and memories of the transformed box. 






Quote of the day: Teachers affect eternity; no one can tell where their influence stops.Henry Brooks Adams




Each year Mattie Miracle receives a donation from Dr. Twitty Styles (the man sitting in this photo). Who is Dr. Styles? He was my immunology teacher in college. We go a long way back with each other and we are still in touch. In fact, when Peter and I got married, Dr. Styles sent us a beautiful framed print of an historic building on our college campus. When Mattie was born, Dr. Styles sent Mattie an adorable Union College zippered sweatshirt. He has grown with me since I was a teenager!

Dr. Styles came into my life during a time when I wasn't the best of students. I was a biology and psychology major at Union College. For the most part, I LOVED all my psychology courses and found my biology courses less than interesting. Back then, if something did not engage me and if I did not see merit in learning what was presented to me, I basically did not. That was until my senior year of college, when I took an elective in biology, immunology. I had many med student friends in college and they all warned me about Dr. Styles' class. They found him to be tough, challenging, and was known to give pop quizzes. In addition, Dr. Styles never called you by your first name. I was Ms. Sardi for example. In addition, Dr. Styles would lecture but within his lectures he'd always asked provocative questions. Not for the whole class to answer, but he would call on a student at random. Did I find Dr. Styles intimidating? Maybe at first, but I loved his class and as we got to know one another, he became my first mentor. Dr. Styles believed I was bright and had potential, and given his stature in the classroom and in the biology department, that made me pause and have academic confidence in myself. 

I found Dr. Styles intriguing. I loved the text book he used in his class (which is saying volumes, because typically text books are dry and hard to sift through) and the content he presented made sense to me and I saw the importance of learning about the immune system and what can arise when it malfunctions. In fact, I still remember researching Lupus for one of his class assignments. 

I met Peter in college, and Dr. Styles got to know him as well! He took an interest in the lives of his students and back then it never really dawned on me..... the beauty of being a teenager. But Dr. Styles and his wife (a pediatrician) were pioneers in the Black community and I am happy to see link I included from Skidmore College below.  All I can say is a lot of time has passed since I was in college, and since I sat before Dr. Styles. Yet when people are special and they transform our lives, their presence remains forever with us. Dr. Styles is that kind of educator. God bless him at age 91!

Reflections: A Conversation with Drs. Constance Glasgow and Twitty Styles

https://www.skidmore.edu/diversity/init1/reflections.php

No comments: