Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 9, 2019

Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Tonight's picture was taken on January of 2004. Mattie was almost two years old. This was quintessential Mattie. Busy, strategizing, and playing with boxes. He could have had  all the toys possible, but at the end of the day, he loved a plain box. It was wonderful to see him transform them with his imagination. 

Quote of the day: Time is free, but it’s priceless. You can’t own it, but you can use it. You can’t keep it, but you can spend it. Once you’ve lost it you can never get it back. ~ Harvey Mackay



Like yesterday, today flew by. I started my day on a conference call. Last Fall, we went for a training in Dallas on a methodology that helps children with cancer and their families manage stress and improve decision making. As part of that training, we agreed to participate on four follow up conference calls. Today was the call. Keep in mind that I am the only advocate on the call. So for me I get to listen to how clinicians are applying this model at their treatment sites. 

I had issues with this model when we went for the training, but today confirmed my feelings. My issue with the model is that it can appear very linear, and unfortunately dealing with people and their issues is anything but linear. In fact, when talking about childhood cancer it is very easy to be falling from peaks or into valleys. One clinician mentioned today how she is having trouble sticking to the model, when such emotional content is being shared with her. The natural tendency is to listen to someone emote, reflect back on what you heard, and to ask more questions. Taking that route though would put you down a rabbit hole, away from the model. I think there are merits to the model, but it requires more flexibility. In addition, I think asking parents to strategize alternative actions and behaviors while in-patient is next to impossible. Living in-patient is highly stressful and produces a sheer lack of sleep. This isn't the best possible time to approach anyone, and I know the clinicians are finding this to be true. Nonetheless, I think what this shows me is that advocate participation is crucial. Living the experience provides vast insights that researchers and clinicians just don't have, and therefore advocates truly improve upon research. 

The rest of the day was consumed by the Foundation video I am trying to create. Believe it or not, I am NOT even close to being done with it. The song I chose is too short for the amount of content that needs to be featured. So I am back to the drawing board.

No comments: