Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 8, 2019

Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Tuesday, January 8, 2019 -- Mattie died 486 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2003. I am so glad I captured this photo back then because I would say colorful cups were one of Mattie's favorite initial things to play with, and they grew with his cognitive needs. From liking the colors, to stacking, to of course filling and dumping water and sand out of them. Needless to say, I still have cups sitting on my tub in the bathroom. Not sure why, but they are where Mattie always liked to keep them. 
Quote of the day: It takes a long time to become young. ~ Pablo Picasso


Today we celebrated my friend, Jane's birthday (she is sitting). I met Jane when Mattie was in preschool. Her daughter and Mattie were in the same classroom. That was back in 2005, hard to believe it was 14 years ago. 

But here's the thing. The majority of moms I met at Mattie's preschool are still friends with me and are heavily involved in Mattie Miracle. It wasn't like we were at the preschool for years and years. We were only there for two years, but they were impressionable years for both children and parents. The preschool age is challenging and it wasn't unusual back then for all of us to chat at pick up and share stories, strategies, and of course to vent. 

Jane now works with us to help raise funds as well as to bring awareness of Mattie Miracle to her children's school community. As Walk season approaches, one of the people I rely heavily on is Jane. Which I greatly appreciate, because it is super stressful to set a targeted financial goal, and though I try to manage most of this myself, it is much easier on me to know I have a core team to turn to for support. A team that is as motivated as I am to make our awareness walk a success. So though it was Jane's birthday, the gift of her and my core team are my gifts. 

No comments: