Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 23, 2019

Sunday, June 23, 2019

Sunday, June 23, 2019

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2003. Mattie was over a year old and it was his first time to the Outer Banks. I can safely say that trip we spent NO time on the beach. Mattie did not like the feeling of the sand on his feet and he also was scared by the sound of the waves. Instead, Mattie was focused on the hose! We spent many an afternoon out on the deck doing water play. 


Quote of the day: The life I touch for good or ill will touch another life, and in turn another, until who knows where the trembling stops or in what far place my touch will be felt. ~ Frederick Buechner


As I mentioned in last night's blog, we were invited to our friend's anniversary party last night. Those who know me well, know I am no longer a party person. But we are very fond of our friends and wanted to show them our support. 

I am in love with this dress. I found it while on our trip to Maine to celebrate our nephew's college graduation. Literally before going to the airport, we walked around the town and being that it was Memorial Day weekend there were great sales. We went into Brooks Brothers, because Peter gets many of his shirts there. While in the store, I saw the women's section and this dress. I love pink, the puffy skirt, and the ballet ribbon at the waist.

This dress was meant for me and I thought it would be perfect for my friend's garden party. The dress inspired me to also learn how to do a 'messy bun.' I think I pulled that off well too and should have had Peter snap a photo of the back of my head. 

Last night's party was magical. I love tents and twinkling lights! In fact at our own wedding reception, the room had vaulted ceilings and we too put twinkling lights on it. So it reminded me of our own wedding. It was special to hear live music too and to see the musicians and the party goers having a good time together. 

We met many lovely people at the party. Of course at first it is awkward because we did not know many of the guests, but striking up conversation is never a problem for me. Don't you know who I gravitated to???? Not on purpose really, it just happened. I had the opportunity to chat with a pediatric nurse who cared for kidney transplant patients and another woman whose son died for a different disease. I have noticed by sharing my story, it draws out others who share this commonality. 

Today I took two of my friends out for high tea at the Ritz-Carlton. I am a big tea person, so I always enjoy this experience and wanted to celebrate the achievements of my friends. 

Naturally I snapped a photo of the menu! 
There were other teas, but I only snapped a photo of the black tea list. Ironically prior to Mattie developing cancer, I only liked herbal teas. I detested strong tea. However, while caring for Mattie in the hospital, our care community dropped off coffee for Peter and tea for me. The tea was always black based. It was an adjustment for me back then, but given that I drank only black tea for over a year, I now can't go back! To me herbal teas no longer have flavor. 










Though this photo was taken into the sun, you get the feeling for our afternoon. I am pictured with my 19 year old friend, Katharina. Mattie was 2 years younger than her, but when Mattie was ill, Katharina was a good friend to all of us (and continues to volunteer for the Foundation). It is amazing to see this elementary school child grow up to be a college student! 

No comments: