Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 27, 2019

Saturday, July 27, 2019

Saturday, July 27, 2019

Tonight's picture was taken on July 29, 2008. Six days after Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. Back then we did not know how to get through a day. We were in total shock and truly devastated at the same time. That day, we took Mattie to Roosevelt Island. A place we all loved and spent a great deal of time at when Mattie was well. We brought Mattie's remote controlled boat to the Island that day, and he played with it in the water. 


Quote of the day: It is good to love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is well done. ~ Vincent Van Gogh


This morning I woke up and looked out the window onto our deck and saw the first blossom of the summer for Ginger Butterfly Lily. We bought this plant in 2014 on one of our trips to North Carolina. Five years later, we still have this plant and it has grown exponentially. 
The plant got its name because the blossoms look like a butterfly! However, what this photo doesn't capture is the intoxicating fragrance coming from the blossoms. The blossoms are short lived and typically don't last for more than a day or so. The fragrance is a mixture of gardenia and lily. 
While outside on the deck smelling Ginger Lily, along came a butterfly! This fellow was fluttering all around us and seemed to hang out by Mattie's bedroom window. 
















I spent a good portion of my day glued to the computer, I am not kidding. We are driving to visit Peter's parents on Monday in Boston, so I had lots of things to do for the Foundation before leaving. On top of that, I had to prepare the blog for my upcoming cruise of Canada with my parents. So I worked on twenty days of blogs, in order for them to be prepped for both my Boston and Canada trips. 

Given the work I was doing, Peter suggested we go out to eat today in Dupont Circle. This is how glorious Q street in Dupont Circle looks. Though it was in the 90's today, I enjoyed walking from the restaurant back home. 

We dined at Hank's Oyster Bar. Though I am not an oyster fan, Peter is! So he got his oysters and I got soft shell crabs. A dish that is not for everyone, but I love them. The funny part about all of this is on Facebook this week, two people commented to me that I should write a restaurant and a travel blog. Not sure I could maintain three blogs at once, but I most definitely appreciated the compliments.

No comments: