Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 19, 2019

Saturday, October 19, 2019

Saturday, October 19, 2019

Tonight's picture was taken on October 20, 2007. It was a Fall Festival held at Mattie's school. Though Mattie had just started that school in September of 2007, by October, he had many friends. Ironically the families of these children (Bethie, Kazu, Campbell, and Livi) in the photo are still part of our lives today and help us raise funds for Mattie Miracle. I honestly thought we would have MANY more Fall Festivals like this to attend. Ironically, the next time we came back to this very field was two years later.....for the Mattie March in 2009. By that point Mattie had cancer and his support community held a March in his honor. 


Quote of the day: The language of friendship is not words but meanings. ~ Henry David Thoreau


It never dawned on me today that it is October 20th, which means that Mattie's school is having its Fall Festival. I took Sunny to Alexandria to walk, as he loves the neighborhoods and beautiful school campuses. However, as soon as I walked passed Mattie's school, it all came back to me. The photo you see above is what I am talking about. Though the school was all set up for 2019 Fall Festival, all I could think about was the first and last Fall Festival we attended in 2007. Which then led to a whole lot of negative thinking on my part about how unfair life is and that others around me can't possibly get it! 

While watching the kids on the field running around and having a good time, with parents in tow, I just observed. I witnessed many checked out parents, with noses in their cell phones. Not that anything is wrong with that per se, other than I would say they are living their life as if this is just another task with their child. One task out of many, implying that there will be MANY MANY Fall Festivals to come. That seems like a natural deduction, as most children do not get gravely ill and die. But of course mine did, and I am happy to say that while he was alive, I was present in his life. Not glued to my phone thankfully, because right about now I would feel very guilty. Guilty that I had the time to make memories and I DIDN'T!

Meanwhile, as I was walking, I saw my friend Christine drive by. Her two children are in the photo above. As soon as she saw me, she pulled the car over to talk with me. Ironically we both recanted the Fall Festival of 2007! As our boys united us together and we too became close friends. Before Mattie got sick, the president of the parent teacher association at Mattie's school contacted me. Rich wanted me to serve as the parliamentarian for the association and to also plan and coordinate the school's Fall Festival in 2008. Given that I knew the president well, I agreed to both requests. However, in July of 2008, before the school year started, Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. So I had to contact Rich and alert him. I remember him asking me if I knew of someone who could take over my role of planning the Fall Festival. My answer was Christine! Christine and I joke about this all the time, and today I reflected with her upon the fact that we never realized three years after the photo above was taken, that we would be working together on this field again. Not for the Fall Festival, but for the FIRST MATTIE MIRACLE WALK. Funny how an event can trigger a volume of memories. 

No comments: