Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 13, 2020

Friday, March 13, 2020

Friday, March 13, 2020

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2009. I absolutely love Mattie's impish expression as I took this photo. As you can tell he was going through his chicken nuggets and french fry phase! What Mattie requested to eat seemed to change every two weeks, or even every week. Depending upon how he was feeling. Of course, whatever he was willing to eat, we made sure to supply it. Peter recalls often to me the night he went out in search of Chef Boyardee. It was like 2am and Mattie insisted on having this pasta. Mind you he never had Chef Boyardee before, so I have no idea where this request came from, but Peter left the hospital and drove around until he found an open store. Peter almost hit a deer while driving, but he did come back with cans in hand. 


Quote of the day: Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that are common in people and many different species of animals, including camels, cattle, cats, and bats. Rarely, animal coronaviruses can infect people and then spread between people such as with MERS-CoV, SARS-CoV, and now with this new virus (named SARS-CoV-2, which produces the disease we know of as COVID-19). The SARS-CoV-2 virus is a betacoronavirus, like MERS-CoV and SARS-CoV.  All three of these viruses have their origins in bats. ~ CDC


Sounds nutty, I'm sure, but today I attended my monthly licensure board meeting and with me I brought a roll of paper towels, disposable gloves, and my antibacterial windex. I literally sprayed down the tables, computer, the mouse belonging to the computer, and my chair. If I have to sit there for 4-6 hours, I don't want to be touching anything that has germs on it. 

Typically I am not a hand sanitizer fan and I don't consider myself to be a germaphobic person overall. Even when Mattie had cancer, I wasn't the mom who insisted my child travel around in a bubble, because I felt Mattie needed to be able to live his life, which meant going out in public, going to the playroom, and participating in activities. Cancer was hard enough, but isolation made it ten times worse. 

But a contagion to me is something else, and frankly because I don't know what we are dealing with and its extent, I am trying to be cautious. Several of our board members called into the meeting today rather than showing up in person. It is a little harder for me to do this as I chair the meeting, and sometimes I need to access actual files and paperwork. 

However, while in the meeting, I learned about the passenger on a JetBlue flight from NY to Florida, who tested positive for the Coronavirus. This is the first publicly reported case on a plane, so it catches all of our attention. How does someone decide to board a plane, when he suspects that he could have the virus and was waiting testing results? Shouldn't one have to wait for the results first?! Either case, as testing becomes more available (as I heard today through the President's 3pm briefing, that soon there will be drive-thru testing centers located in CVS, Target, Walgreen's, and Walmart parking lots all over the country), I think it would make sense to require testing results before boarding a plane. With the rapid testing procedure just developed, testing results can be obtained within 24 hours. Of course, the CDC is recommending that people NOT get tested unless they have symptoms. I get it, but I also get the need for public safety in the air. Either case, the article below states that JetBlue has banned this particular passenger from ALL future JetBlue flights. 


JetBlue bans passenger who notified crew after landing that he'd tested positive for coronavirus:
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/jetblue-passenger-banned-coronavirus-trnd/index.html

No comments: