Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 6, 2020

Monday, July 6, 2020

Monday, July 6, 2020

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2003. Mattie was 15 months old. We took him to visit my parents in Los Angeles. In fact, it was an August tradition. Mattie loved to travel and to have adventures. That afternoon in my parent's home, we were trying to entertain Mattie. Peter brought him to the piano and Mattie was tapping away at the ivories! 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins
  • number of people diagnosed with the virus: 2,931,142
  • number of people who died from the virus: 130,248

Don't ask me what happened to today! It went by so quickly, moving from one task to the other. I got up at 6am, to do my usual chores. At 8am, one of the caregivers arrived and I walked her through the many check lists I have developed. Of course I could write things up, but I find NO ONE reads, so I literally have to walk through the process with each of them. One learns by doing! 

See this portion of the kitchen counter? It is filled with a master calendar, a listing of PT and OT in-home exercises, a chart to keep track of blood pressure and bowel movements and a notebook for caregivers to write a listing of the activities performed daily. 


There is a lot to manage here on a given day, and right now Peter and I have been working around the clock. Which makes one wonder what happens when we are both not around? The answer is still out on this and I will find out quickly this week as I return home tomorrow. 


Today was a juggling act. I helped to get my dad up and showered because his physical therapist was coming at 9am. It was going to be a shortened session because my dad had a 10am doctor's appointment. I made this appointment because I wanted to know if there was a medical explanation for his exhaustion. He literally wakes up tired and it is next to impossible to get him to comply to do any of his in home exercises. 

Any case, the physical therapist observed my dad going up and down the stairs twice today, since I reported two times he was unbalanced walking down the stairs. In addition, the therapist discussed why following the in home exercise program is vital. It was important for my dad to hear this and for him to understand why participating in these exercises is mandatory for independent living. 

Literally from therapy, we packed my dad up in the car, along with the caregiver and drove to the doctor's office. Given our conversation and blood results, there is no physical reason for my dad to be tired. Other than age, recovering from two hospitalizations, and lack of motivation. I can't quite say I have great confidence in the doctor. But he has been my parent's physician for many years. 

Since we are leaving tomorrow, there are so many chores to still get done. So I am signing off and in hopes that I can figure out this week how to be useful from afar. Though I know quite well from my own situation with Mattie, when you are caregiving full time, the only real support is that provided on the ground. 

No comments: