Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 5, 2020

Sunday, July 5, 2020

Sunday, July 5, 2020

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2009. It was the fourth of July weekend and our friends invited us away for two days. When I say away, it was about an hour's drive from where we are in DC. Though I was hesitant to do this, Mattie's doctor approved the trip, as she felt the change of scenery would be good for all of us. So literally we packed up the house and our pharmacy of supplies and went for a weekend away. This may look like a happy photo, but this was a HORRIFIC trip for us. Mattie got to see what kids his age were doing and he was very attuned to the fact that he was different. This difference made him extremely agitated and depressed. He lashed out at us and was beyond miserable. Looking back, did we make the right decision to take him away? Probably not, if given the chance to do it again, I wouldn't have gone. But I did not know how it would go, and therefore, I felt it was worth the try. 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • number of people who were diagnosed with the virus: 2,874,396
  • number of people who died from the virus: 129,870


The highlight of our July 4th, was watching the fireworks in Washington, DC and NYC on television. They were absolutely extraordinary and I can only imagine what this show was like in person. Living so close to the Washington National Mall, so we can usually see the fireworks from our home! 
My dad loved seeing the fireworks and was still talking about them today! I have never seen Macy's firework display in NYC, but it was brilliantly done, and of course it featured Frank Sinatra singing New York, New York. 






If you read yesterday's blog, then you know we are struggling to get my dad to do any of his daily occupational and physical therapy exercises. Each time we ask him to do them, he tells us he is TOO tired, doesn't want to do them, and that we are torturing him. We have tried empathy, we have tried rationalization, and yesterday I even tried down right a brutal reality check. No tactics have worked. Keep in mind that we don't watch him when doing his exercises, we participate along. I never ask someone do something I won't do myself. Nonetheless, I have had NO success at getting him to comply. 

I therefore wrote to both his therapists (OT and PT) and I explained the problem. One therapist said that my dad needs tough love. Did that, done that, and it doesn't work for him. I am not working with a patient who is cognitively intact to begin with, so this makes rationalization (which is what tough love is based on) ineffective. I am taking my dad to the doctor tomorrow to discuss the chronic exhaustion and to have blood tests to rule out a physical explanation for this fatigue. Once we rule that out, then the only conclusion I can come to is we are dealing with a motivational and psychological issue. 

My dad did make a short facetime call today to our cousins in New York. This was a positive connection for all us on many levels, and I am encouraging my parents to do this weekly. As it is an excellent outlet to talk to people you love, but also people who understand what you are facing each day. As Tuesday grows closer, I land up feeling very anxious because I honestly do not know how things will continue on when I return to the East coast. I am not touting my abilities, I am just a keen observer and assessor of situations. Geographical distance is not the best, but in a crisis, it makes things 100 times harder. 

No comments: