Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 8, 2020

Sunday, November 8, 2020

Sunday, November 8, 2020

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2007. That weekend, we went for a walk on Roosevelt Island. It was practically a weekend tradition for us. The Island is close to our home, it has wide open space, plenty of trees and things to explore, and it was a place Mattie absolutely loved! In fact, as a baby, Mattie was most at peace when he was outside. It did not matter the temperature. Prior to Mattie coming into my life, I really did not spend much time outside. Much less walking and exploring in the woods. Mattie changed all of that for me, and to this day, I am more comfortable being outside than inside. 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • number of people diagnosed with the virus: 9,949,530
  • number of people who died from the virus: 237,488


Believe it or not, I am still working on obtaining my continuing education credits for my license. These credits are due by December 31. However, I am determined to get all 40 hours done before mid-November. I have only FOUR more hours left. I have found the way to meet my goal is getting up early each morning and spending an hour or more a day on these trainings. Taking anything in small dosages truly makes it manageable. It reminds me of graduate school. 

I enrolled in a Telehealth for Mental Health Professionals class, that is 12 hours long. Today the instructor showed a 3-4 minute video featuring Ellen's talk show. The purpose of showing us the video was to remind us of the importance of making sure the person we are working with understands the technology that we plan on using! It was a cute way to get this message across. I included the clip below, because how the kids reacted to an old cell phone and an answering machine had me laughing hysterically. 


Ellen introduces kids to technology of yesterday:


We took Sunny to Seneca Regional Park today in Great Falls, VA. This was a first for all of us. Sunny got a work out going up and down hills, but there is a trail right by the Potomac River, which was beautiful. 
We came across many people along our 4.5 mile journey. I can't tell you how many stopped to tell us we have a beautiful dog. The beauty of Sunny is that his specialness is on the inside too!
The amazing trails. 
It was so quiet in the woods, that we could hear leaves dropping. I can't remember the last time I heard NOTHING else around me. 
It was a glorious 70 degree weather day and after our journey, Sunny was worn out! Yet despite how tired he may have been, he never passes up the opportunity to look out the window! 


No comments: