Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 14, 2020

Saturday, November 14, 2020

Saturday, November 14, 2020

Tonight's picture was taken on November 13, 2007. It was Peter's birthday and that day Mattie wanted to bake a cake with me for his dad. Like Mattie, Peter is not a chocolate fan. So naturally we made an all vanilla cake! I am so happy we did this together and that I captured these photos as reminders of our life together. 



 

Quote of the day: Tonight's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins.

  • number of people diagnosed with the virus: 10,859,661
  • number of people who died from the virus: 245,495

Yesterday was Peter's birthday. He worked the whole day, and I was on a marathon licensure board meeting. What Peter did not know was for two weeks I had been planning a small surprise party for him and some of his friends. The party happened to fall on his birthday, but it really was a congratulations party on becoming a president and CEO of a company. 

I held the party in my friend, Ann's backyard. While Peter was working this week, I snuck out twice to buy party supplies, set up decorations, and to make floral arrangements and the list went on. Getting Peter to Ann's last night was a feat, but I managed to pull it off without him suspecting something was up. So he was truly surprised..... as this photo captures Peter as a statue! Trying to figure out what was going on around him!

We lucked out with the weather. It was clear, crisp, but not freezing. I made five floral arrangements for the party. Sticking with a fall theme and using LOTS of mums!
It may not look it but I spent about four hours hanging gold stars and decorations from the rafters of Ann's deck. I wanted the space to twinkle. 


Peter with his cake! The cake was wonderful! Featuring both vanilla and coconut. 
I had the food catered for the small gathering. Which was great, because at this point in lock down, I am sick of cooking. 
My sunflower buffet table display! Given that I did not want people touching each others utensils, I wrapped each set with a napkin and tied it with gold ribbon. 
Love the cake! It read...... Happy Birthday Mr. President. I know if I asked Peter whether he wanted a party or not, he'd say no. So I side stepped the asking and did what I wanted to do. Which was to acknowledge Peter's achievement, all that he has survived and had to deal with as a bereaved father in the workplace, and naturally to make him feel special! 


1 comment:

Cheryl said...

You did a wonderful job on this party, Vicki! The decorations are beautiful and you are so thoughtful on every detail. It shows! Great job, and Happy Birthday, Peter, and Congratulations on your new job!!

Cheryl