Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 12, 2021

Sunday, September 12, 2021

Sunday, September 12, 2021

Tonight's picture was taken on June 1, 2002. Mattie was two months old. I used this photo to go on Mattie's birth announcement. It took me two months after he was born to get it together to send out announcements. I remember trying to take the perfect photo. Not easy with a two month old, but I loved his expression here, and therefore to me it was the winning photo! 

Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 40,950,202
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 659,936


What didn't we do today? It was another non-stop work weekend on this house. In a way to me it is like paddling in a boat, on the ocean, with a teaspoon. We keep working hard, but we don't see to get too far. 

Here are some highlights of the things we tackled today:

  1. In addition to everything else going on, one of Peter's colleague is coming over next weekend with his family of (8!) for brunch. So I have been trying to figure out brunch foods. Today I tested out making a tomato, onion, basil, and goat cheese frittata. It turned out wonderful! 
  2. Peter shaved down the door in our powder room, because I have a sunflower rug in there and the door hung too low for me to close it with the rug on the floor. Because we did not renovate the powder room, just refreshed it, there is NO WAY I wish to see the bathroom tiles. The floor needs a rug, so I don't have to look at all the tile. 
  3. We began hanging some pictures on the walls. 
  4. Electrical outlets needed face plates, so Peter took that on today. When the painters painted they permanently removed some of the face plates, because they were covered in wallpaper from the previous owner. 
  5. Peter changed out the faucet and hardware in the laundry room sink. 
  6. Peter is also changing many of the light switches all over the house so they have dimmers. THANKFULLY Peter learned many skills from his grandfather. Otherwise we would be up a creek. 
  7. I used upholstery cleaner on the basement stairs. The stair rug is filled with stains. I can tell the rug isn't old, but the previous owners spilled something on EVERY step leading down the stairs. My nickname for them is "pig pen."
  8. Did cleaning and more cleaning!
I wish I could say we are done, but we aren't that lucky. Literally we work from the moment we get up until we go to sleep. Yet at the end of the day, we both say we feel like we haven't gotten anything accomplished. Which of course isn't true. The fun continues this week, as all the soffits and gutters for the house are getting replaced. Because the previous owner did have the roof replaced, but NOT properly, so instead of water running from the roof into the gutters, it runs between the house and the gutters. 

In addition, someone is coming to do carpentry work around all the new electrical panels and I am also getting an estimate on tile work. As the previous owner only tiled half of the laundry room. The other half has old tile. It looks ridiculous! 

No comments: