Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 16, 2021

Thursday, September 16, 2021

Thursday, September 16, 2021

Tonight's picture was taken in November of 2003. Mattie was a year and a half old. We took his to Boston for Thanksgiving to visit with Peter's parents. Peter's mom gave him an Elmo toy. As you can see Mattie was transfixed and fascinated. Mattie LOVED Elmo, and whenever Elmo came on TV, Mattie would stop in his tracks and pay very close attention.


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 41,753,833
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 669,718


Naturally nothing on the Farm is easy. A roofing company we hired started work yesterday. Given the unprofessional roof installation the previous own did, when it rains, the water falls off the roof and NOT into the gutters. So our goal was to fix that major problem. However, when the company started working to replace the gutters, they found ROTTED fascia board all around the house. The fascia board is the long wooden board behind the gutters on a house. It connects to the roof rafters, and serves as the mount for gutters. ... A damaged fascia can be the starting point for other roof problems and potentially lead to damage to a home. I snapped a photo of an example of the rotted out fascia boards. It is the black stuff you see at the roof line. In any case, Peter and I got hit with quite an unexpected and expensive revised estimate today. No choice this needs to be corrected otherwise further damage will incur to the roof, and potentially inside the house. Safe to say, Peter and I have absolutely no use for the former homeowners. 


There were many chores to accomplish today outside of the house. Thankfully Peter works from home, so I can pop out and do things on occasion. One of tasks  was grocery shopping. Look who was in the parking lot right outside the store!!!








Meanwhile, while I was grocery shopping, we had torrential rain, thunder, and lightning. Of course this is NOT Sunny type weather. Sunny found Peter and the closest bathroom shower to sit in to wait out the storm. 


In the mail today came two bronze geese. These geese belong to my mom. They are antiques, and over 70 years old. My mom had them polished and powder coated, so I will never have to polish them again. This mama and baby goose sat by my parent's fireplace since 1986. I even remember Mattie sitting on the mama goose, which ironically I did too (but I was a teenager)! Now when I see the geese, I think of Mattie and me, because anytime he saw a mama animal with her young, he'd say to me...... that's us!

No comments: