Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 5, 2021

Friday, November 5, 2021

Friday, November 5, 2021

Tonight's picture was taken on October 20, 2008, in the pre-opt area. It was an ungodly hour of the morning as we were waiting to talk with the pediatric anesthesiologist  and Mattie's surgeon. Mattie was heading into his first limb salvaging surgery and despite the severity of what was about to happen, we tried to make Mattie laugh and help him understand that we were with him every step of the way. My joke was he was going to become the bionic boy! He liked that notion. But given all that Mattie was facing, wasn't it amazing that he was able to smile? If I were in his shoes, there would be NO SMILING whatsoever. 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 46,424,240
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 753,738


This picture isn't the best, as I literally snapped a photo from my computer. This is one of the signs that is going on our new Snack and Item Cart at the National Institutes of Health (NIH). The Cart is in transit to NIH now and our magnetic signs that go on the Cart have already arrived there. 

Given that I am leaving to go to Los Angeles on November 18th, I am working around the clock on house stuff and Foundation things. I want the countless items that our in our home, to be out of it, because I will have another set of movers and things coming at me in December. It is like moving twice in a way, and once was more than enough for me. 

It has been one thing after the other here. We haven't had a peaceful moment in this house. Today while I was walking Sunny, one of my neighbors said I should sue the former owners. He has been watching the extensive work we have been doing on the house. Not just things we elected to do, but things that had to be done for the safety and wellbeing of the house. Things we had no idea we were signing up for before we purchased the house. All I know is my life feels like one chore after the other. I realize life can be like this in general, and I remember those moments in the hospital with Mattie, when I wished for the mundane daily tasks. I can certainly put the stress we are under now into context, but nonetheless, I am tired and there is no end in sight. 
 
I have decided that next week I will begin candy/item deliveries. In addition there are two community groups collecting items for me. I have told both of them that I want all items by Friday, as I do not have time for items to continue to come in after that. Despite the fact that we live in a bigger space now, there really isn't a house big enough to manage our item drives. They take on a life of their own. Part of me preferred the live item drives. Certainly it was MORE work and we gathered much more candy than I knew what to do with, but it was a social experience. It gave me time to interact with our supporters, we united to sort candy, and in the process I was able to spread our psychosocial message. Doing things virtually changes that hands on feeling. 

But we move on and forward. I am deeply grateful that supporters took the time to order items from our Wish List, and I will take it one day at a time, as I process the items and deliver them all over the region. 

No comments: