Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 8, 2021

Monday, November 8, 2021

Monday, November 8, 2021

Tonight's picture was taken on November 7 of 2007. Mattie was five years old and in kindergarten. That day, he lost a tooth in the middle of writer's workshop. Which was a creative writing component of his kindergarten lessons. Mattie wasn't always wild about writer's workshop, mainly because he was still learning to read and write. However, what came easily to Mattie was the creative story telling and the content. Which from my opinion are much harder to teach! The mechanics come in time. In any case, during writer's workshop, out popped Mattie's tooth. His teacher helped Mattie save it so he could bring it home for the tooth fairy. The tooth fairy was not just an ordinary gal at our home. Mattie always wrote a letter to her (and left it by his bedside), and he did not ask for money. He wanted something tangible for his tooth, and it varied. One time he asked the fairy for a necklace made out of pasta. Got to love him and that pearly white fairy always complied!


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 46,574,414
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 755,162


Another day of chores here! This week I begin deliveries of candy and items around town. In the past we have had to rent a Uhaul because of the sheer volume. I am trying to avoid doing that this year, specifically because Peter is unable to help me by day.

So I started a stack of items in the garage for the National Institutes of Health's (NIH) Cart. These things have to be loaded in the car for transportation tomorrow. If you have never been to NIH, it is an experience. In the way it is like going to the airport. You have to allow extra time because you can't just waltz in. You and your car have to go through screening. Literally you leave your car, you have to show ID, you have to be entered into their computer system, and go through a metal detector. Meanwhile, your car and its contents get inspected. In the past when I had bags and bags of candy, the inspectors always loved it, because I made sure I could leave them some. Now I am coming in with boxes, so who knows how that will go over. My appointment to meet people there is at 11am, and I will be leaving home at 9:30am or earlier, because of the challenges of commuting and getting onto the campus. 

I did a thorough cleaning inside our car today. Wiping down surfaces and vacuuming. We aren't required to do this, but to me it made sense given that we sometimes have Sunny in the car and certainly because of the big move. The car hauled a lot of stuff from DC to Virginia.

I also called about getting Sunny back on an anti-inflammatory. He still seems to have trouble getting up from a seated position and does limp for the first ten minutes of our walks. As if he has arthritis, but he doesn't! So I am hoping getting back on the meds will help him heal better from surgery. 

Meanwhile the house saga doesn't end. We are back to having electrical issues. Now some of the lights won't go on at all. It isn't a breaker issue either. I have been spoiled for 27 years in Washington, DC, where I would call our front desk and within minutes someone would be at our door, willing to help, and usually resolved the problem that day. Now is another story. I am full time caregiver to Sunny, who is rehabbing, and a full-time (+++++) caregiver of the farm. Yesterday my friend asked me why I call the house, "the farm." Well ironically the address has Farm in it, which is convenient, but I am calling it "the farm," because I feel like I am living in a funny farm. Non-stop chaos, which I find debilitating physically and mentally. 

No comments: