Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

November 9, 2021

Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Tuesday, November 9, 2021 -- Mattie died 632 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken on Veteran's Day of 2007. Mattie was five years old and that day we walked down to Constitution Avenue from our townhouse in DC. The beauty of living in the heart of the city, you could easily walk to see parades as well as easily leave to head home. The facial expression on Mattie's face I knew well! This was the look I got whenever he was busy doing something and really did not want to stop for a photo. Yet he was good enough to comply! By that point he was used to my need for photo documentation. 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 46,661,243
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 756,574


I am up to my ears in candy and snacks! Last night Peter packed our car, so I could deliver items to the National Institutes of Health. Fortunately Peter understands spatial relations, because I could never have packed the car so well and got everything to fit. 
What looked good last night, wasn't great for me by day, when I had to drive. As I couldn't see out of my rear view mirror. Which was disturbing to me, especially driving on highways. 
Get the idea of what was behind me?
Getting onto the NIH campus is challenging on a good day. Today I arrived, at the usual visitor's entrance, just to find that the entrance was closed due to construction. I was in a panic, because I had NO idea how to get onto the campus using any other entrance. So I contacted our friend Lori (who you see in red) and asked her what to do. 

So today I entered the campus through the deliveries entrance. With all the trucks! It was an experience. I went through the same procedure of getting out of the car, the car got inspected, while I had to register with the guards and go through a metal detector.

I finally got to the NIH Clinical Center and fortunately a team came out to help and brought carts! 

The team posing with all the items! They couldn't get over that all these wonderful things were donated by the community! As I always say, we have the best supporters. 
When I got home, I started going through more items and started a stack for MedStar Georgetown University Hospital, which I am donating to on Thursday. Wondering what I am doing in a box? Well this enormous box was delivered to us today and it was filled with Cheez Itz! It was so heavy, I couldn't even lift it!

No comments: