Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 21, 2022

Friday, January 21, 2022

Friday, January 21, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2009. Mattie posed for a photo with some of the art work he created for his hospital door. This was the outside of his door. We may have been living in the hospital, but Mattie's room was always festive, filled with activity, and art work. I remember move in and move out days in the hospital. Peter and I had about ten bins filled with our things that we needed in order to live in the hospital. One or two bins were decorations. Every time we were discharged, I would have to pack up Mattie's room and Peter would move all the bins to the car. We had the same procedure for move in days too! I assure you this wasn't easy logical wise, but we learned quickly what we needed access to in order to live in the hospital full time. 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 70,070,539
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 864,304


Just when I think the days can't get worse, of course they do. I got up this morning and literally I had to drag myself out of bed. After which I went downstairs to make breakfast. While in the kitchen, something in the refrigerator spilled all over me. So for most of the morning, I smelled like mushrooms. Then I went to grab a box of blueberries and the whole box fell all over the floor. I knew this was a sign that this wasn't going to be a good day, and I was right. 

After breakfast prep, I went upstairs to wake my dad up, shower him, make the bed, compile garbage and collect laundry. While my dad was showering, he literally pooped in the shower. He has done this before, but today's gift was over the top. Needless to say, later in the morning I had to scrub the whole thing down with Clorox, including the bath mat. While doing this, I somehow fell backward and though it hurt, I had to get up and keep on going. 

While my parents had breakfast, I ran outside to meet our gardener to discuss bushes we want planted for the spring. Now that we have a new metal fence between us and our neighbor, to me the backyard looks like a jail. I want to correct this by planting bushes/trees. In addition, we are changing the front flower bed which is in the shape of a kidney. Delightful no? We will work to change it into an oval and plant grass to correct for the kidney shape. 

My biggest bone of contention is my mom wants to go out daily to eat. They like going out at lunch time for a big meal. That wasn't a problem in Los Angeles when it was just the two of them, but Peter works Monday through Friday, so if we go out he isn't joining us. In addition, if I eat a large meal mid day, there is no way I can eat dinner, which means I am not cooking. Which also means that Peter isn't getting dinner, eating a balanced diet, and worse we aren't eating as a family. This drives me up the deep end. This is in addition to NOT having one minute to myself. I think because I am a prisoner in my own home, when I took my parents out today, I was like a ticking time bomb ready to explode. I got so angry at lunch that I literally wanted to get up, walk out, drive home and leave them there.   

Today was a very frustrating day, on top of many other frustrating days. Even if I had a caregiver for several hours this truly wouldn't help. As this is a 24/7 proposition, with no breaks, no independence, and no freedom. When I discuss the need for a break or time with friends, I am met with great opposition. So to me there are no solutions. All I know is I am dealing with so many impossible things. Not just daily tasks, the intense physical demands of caregiving, but I am dealing with a host of cognitive issues. It is the dementia that frankly could make me absolutely crazy! Crazy I tell you!

No comments: