Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 7, 2022

Friday, January 7, 2022

Friday, January 7, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken on January 11, 2009. We were staying at the Affinia Gardens Hotel near the hospital in NYC. I will never forget this hotel. At check in, we literally wheeled Mattie into the lobby. The hotel folks took one look at us and they immediately upgraded us to a suite. Not just any suite either, but a penthouse suite. It had two bedrooms, two baths, a kitchen and balconies. It was an extraordinary room. I will never forget their kindness, compassion, and understanding. Even Mattie was thrilled by the room, so much so that he attempted to walk around the room holding onto the walls. 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 59,031,556
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 835,815


In my email inbox today, I got a photo reminder from Shutterfly. They created a collage from our trip in January of 2020. In a way our world and our personal life were dramatically different at that point in time. We were ignorant of COVID-19 and at that point my dad was still functioning and able to travel. 

These photos were taken aboard a Princess Cruise ship. I think about this and consider myself lucky that this cruise wasn't a month later. Because we would have been quarantined aboard the ship because of the virus. Pictured with me here are Oscar the MaĆ®tre D' of the ship's restaurants and our wait staff..... Dani and her assistant (whose name escapes me right now). 

These photos remind me of something I learned earlier on in my life..... that things CAN and DO get worse. Traveling with my dad back then was not easy by any stretch of the imagination, but in comparison to now, it is a night and day difference. Our lives have basically stopped for us because of caregiving. Again a role, I know all too well. It just wasn't something I was planning for, maybe because of the ordeal we went through with Mattie. It was a time in our lives that we will never forget and I am still dealing with the physical ramifications of living under that intense level of stress. Now I face another crisis, that looks quite different, but still has great stress and at the end of the day provides me with no flexibility, freedom, and independence. 

Today I had a virtual visit with my endocrinologist. She is trying to find a medication that will work for me given my very poor response to Fosamax. While talking, I explained to her that I am a full time caregiver now and have little time to get sick or deal with negative side effects of medication. My conversation, triggered her own reflections.... regarding her mother, father, and mother-in-law, all who have died, but needed great support at the end of their lives. I have found that caregiving is a role that immediately unifies people together. We just naturally empathize and have insights into the perspectives, stresses, and concerns expressed by our fellow caregivers. 

No comments: