Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 4, 2022

Tuesday, January 4, 2021

Tuesday, January 4, 2022 -- Mattie died 640 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken on January 6, 2009. It was the Epiphany or Three Kings Day in the Christian religion. One of the cartoons we were watching at the time, gave us a website, in order to print out a king's (wiseman) hat. Mattie liked the notion, so we printed it out for him while we were playing. I LOVE that smile. 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 56,697,387
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 829,091


If you do not live in the National Capital Region, you may not know about the I-95 shutdown. It is perhaps a first for something of this magnitude to happen. Our region received about 7 inches of snow on Monday, which is a TON for us. This caused trucks to crash and pile up on I-95. This was like a domino effect, because it caused a back up and stranded drivers for 24 hours. I can't imagine being stuck on I-95 for 24 hours unable to move or have access to heat, water, and food. Not to mention a bathroom! My thoughts go out to all these drivers and of course the emergency personnel who are actually walking on I-95 to check in on drivers and to deliver food. Amazing people!

Peter was supposed to drive to Virginia Beach today for business meetings. However, while I was taking a shower and getting dress this morning, I had the radio on. It was through the radio that I heard about the I-95 shut down, and I immediately alerted Peter. After learning more, he had to cancel his trip and alert everyone he was scheduled to meet. To learn more about the shutdown today, check out: ‘Never Seen Anything Like It': Drivers Stranded for 24 Hours on I-95 in Virginia

Meanwhile this is the state of roads near the Farm. I learned from our HOA president that we are indeed on the snow plowing route maintained by the city. So our HOA fees do not pay for plowing, like the former owner of our house told us. Frankly though I think we would have better luck with a private company, because the town appears too busy to get to side streets to plow. All of the side streets in our neighborhood are unacceptable in my opinion and in some cases are sheets of ice. 

Regardless of weather conditions, I walk Sunny. I am like the Post Office (though here on the Farm we haven't received mail in two days because of the street conditions!!!). So Sunny and I did our hour walk on these streets today. All I could see was fallen trees everywhere, trucks on several streets to manage the fallen trees, and in one instance Sunny slipped on black ice and literally his entire back end gave way. I had to help him up and thankfully he is physically okay. All I could think about was the fact that he just recovered from KNEE SURGERY in September! 

This Thursday will mark the first month my parents have been living in Virginia. It is an adjustment for all of us. In just this short period of time, I have seen a massive decline in my dad. Both physically and cognitively. I expected something like this to happen because of his new surroundings, but being in the middle of winter doesn't help. Because I can't get him outside to enjoy fresh air and the backyard. I am not sure that would even help, but now, he spends an inordinate amount of time sleeping in his chair in the family room. It wasn't like he did a whole lot in Los Angeles either, but for me it is hard to be confined to the same routine each and every day. In addition to the same routine, I feel like I am listening to a broken record, or my joke is I am stuck in Ground Hog's Day. Again no fault of his own, but he can ask the same thing OVER and OVER again and it requires a great deal of patience to manage his questions. 

No comments: