Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 30, 2022

Sunday, January 30, 2022

Sunday, January 30, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2006. Mattie was three years old and that day decided to make a structure out of Legos. But not just any structure, specifically a Lego roller skate. I am not even sure whether Mattie ever saw anyone roller skating, but the notion of locomotion and movement fascinated him from a very young age. He naturally gravitated to cars, trains, planes, buses, trucks, and basically anything with wheels. I remember when Mattie was a baby, I would hold him in my arms and we would look out our big picture window. This window overlooked Route 66. Mattie was absolutely mesmerized by all the vehicles and he could watch them for long periods of time.


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 74,315,639
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 884,223


Our amaryllis are in bloom. They are the highlight of the winter for me. 












This is what our basement looked like in December when my parents 225 boxes/bins were delivered. 












So this is the before photo! I honestly did not know how we were going to process through all these boxes and things. But each weekend after New Year's, Peter and I have been going at it slowly. I only do it when Peter is around to help me, because frankly I find it overwhelming on top of everything else I am managing. If it weren't for Peter, I most likely would close the basement door and try to forget that 225 boxes and bins are in the basement. 

This is the current state of our basement! Big difference no? Peter and I debate this, but I still think his job is the worst. As he opens every box, unwraps things, carries it upstairs, and then I try to put things away with my mom. Peter then piles up all the wrapping paper and debris, breaks down boxes and twines the boxes together for the recycling truck. 

I was spoiled for 27 years in the District of Columbia as our complex had huge dumpsters. I never worried how to dispose of anything. Now we have to be strategic. We even borrow our neighbor's garbage bin each week, so we can adequately remove all the materials from the house.

Another part of the basement! It is very exciting to see floor again and to be able to walk around downstairs. 

Each weekend, after working, we go out for an early dinner together. There is no way on top of all of this I can cook. One would think that going out would be peaceful, but unless you are with me, it is hard to describe the tension and stress that is in tow. I typically eat slowly, but given the host of issues my dad has, I find that I eat much faster because I never know when he is going to have an issue, and I have to jump up from the table to take him to the bathroom. I constantly feel like I am on edge. My dad also has no understanding for others around him. His focus is himself, his needs, and they must be addressed ASAP. As soon as we sit down at the table, he is anxious to know what he is going to order and literally all things stop until I read the menu with him and he decides. But I have to order for him because two seconds after he makes his choice he has NO recollection on what he just decided to eat. It is a sad commentary and such a profound change in my dad, who was once very bright, very sharp, very in tune, and in full command. 



No comments: