Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 5, 2022

Saturday, February 5, 2022

Saturday, February 5, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2009. Mattie was in the child life playroom that day and working on the construction of a mini volcano. While busy and creating, there was a vanilla shake sitting right next to him. The hope was he'd drink it for both fluid and calories. The treatment left Mattie emaciated and with no appetite, so whenever we expressed interest in eating or drinking, we jumped through hoops to get what he wanted. Fortunately we had an amazing support community working their magic behind the scenes. Nonetheless, I will never forget the many projects Mattie created and was involved in during treatment.  


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins.

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 76,432,691
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 902,035


We moved into this house on August 25, 2021. Since that time, I have basically been cleaning it myself. Since this is a large house, it truly has become overwhelming, especially now that my parent's moved in. Today we had our housekeeper come to clean and I have resumed her service on a regular basis. She has been working with us since 2008, when Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. Prior to Mattie's diagnosis, I did all my own cleaning. But back then, I was living in the hospital, more than I was home. At which point, our neighbor suggested that he would send his housekeepers to our townhouse to clean for us on a regular basis. It was a very thoughtful gesture. I was reluctant, but I took the help, because I needed it. So I have known our housekeeper 14 years! She does an excellent job and is very trustworthy. I wasn't sure she would come outside the beltway to our home, but she seems happy to do it. Whereas, I am thrilled to have consistent support with cleaning!

Peter this week went to Syracuse, NY for work. While Peter was there, it snowed about 11 inches. If this happened in the Washington, DC area, the city would have been closed for two weeks. But Syracuse did not skip a beat. Things were open and flights were taking off and landing. Peter got home last night around 11pm, and shared with me a special text message he received from a colleague. I naturally won't share the message here, but it is the significance of the message that resonated with me and has a lot to do with this blog. 

Peter's colleague was basically thanking him for being an outstanding boss. A boss who understands, values, and has compassion for the fragileness of life. Someone in Peter's company is in the process of losing a family member and Peter has encouraged this person to take time off. To be with the loved one and to not worry about work. That work will always be there, but right now there are more pressing and more important matters for this person other than work. It is clear that when Peter says these things, he has no ulterior motive and doesn't plan to give this person a guilt trip for missing work. Not all bosses are like this, and some say take time off, but ultimately don't mean it. 

I believe Peter is a sensitive and in-tune person to begin with, but I also think Peter learned first hand the importance of workplace support while Mattie was sick and dying. In Peter's case, his bosses said one thing, but actually felt a totally different way about him. They viewed Peter as "broken," rather than having any real insight and compassion for what he was balancing as a father dealing with childhood cancer. Mattie's cancer diagnosis and death, I believe, have given Peter even greater insight about life and what people really need from their employers when facing such a family crisis. The wonders of Mattie..... as I always say, he was our life's greatest teacher. 

No comments: