Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 22, 2022

Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Tuesday, February 22, 2022 -- Mattie died 647 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2009. Mattie was in his hospital room and creating. Mattie learned how to use a glue gun early in his life. In preschool for a matter of fact. I was actually nervous for him to use this device, but he understood how it worked and never burned himself. Look closely at this photo, do you see something on Mattie's foot? It was a plastic roach! Mattie may have been ill and not feeling great, but he never lost his sense of humor, and he knew a plastic roach would get a rise out of me. 




Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins. 

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 78,634,064
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 938,862


Today was not a good day. After 7 days, I removed the heart monitor from my dad's chest. Getting this sticky thing off was a feat, and thankfully the monitor company gave us adhesive remover. But it took me 15 minutes of work. Then at some point today I had to pack it up and mail it back to the company. I needed that like a hole in the head. 

I remained home working on one task after the other. My dad's social worker came at around 1pm and she did not leave until 3pm. I am not sure if I find the talking helpful or what. She listens to my mom and checks in with me about how things are going. But honestly there are times things are not going well, and I don't feel like these periodic check ins are helpful. On the contrary they take up my valuable time. 

My mom explained to the social worker that she basically hates her life and wants to be able to do things. However, when I reminder her that she is here, I am dealing with all of my dad's issues, and therefore she could go to an exercise class, a museum, or you name it. She says she doesn't want to do this because she would feel guilty that she is going out. Any case, the entire dialogue (which I am not reporting here), set me off and I stormed out of the house with the dog and walked for two miles. I needed to reset and stabilize. 

Then I learned that my dad's speech therapist is coming early tomorrow morning and his physical therapist is coming early on Thursday! These folks have NO idea how this impacts me, as I have to factor in getting up much earlier in order to get my dad ready in time. Despite me sharing my displeasure, I have no choice, as they are juggling things to fit us into their schedule. JUST not happy!

Also something to note..... my dad apparently got up at 4:15am to weigh himself and brush his teeth. Naturally this concerns me big time, and I am not sure why two nights in a row he has gotten up to use the bathroom, rather than use the urinal by the side of his bed. He has been using the urinal since 2020, so any change in pattern is a red flag to me. 


Made chocolate chip cookies today and......
Chocolate chip banana muffins!



No comments: