Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 24, 2022

Thursday, February 24, 2022

Thursday, February 24, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2009. I absolutely LOVE this photo and can remember it as if it were yesterday. Mattie was getting admitted to the hospital and his art therapist came to greet us. In front of us, which you can't see, was a ramp. Mattie literally wanted use to push him down the ramp, like a rollercoaster. There was NO way I was going to do that, but Jenny and I instead ran while pushing his chair down the ramp. You can see the hospital employee behind us smiling and laughing over this scene. 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins.

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 78,790,210
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 944,588


It was another early morning! My dad's physical therapist was coming at 10am. Therefore, that means I have to get up early to pull it all together. The therapist was coming to reassess my dad to get recertified to provide more sessions. In order to get qualified for more sessions, Medicare needs to see that progress has been made. Otherwise they see no reason to justify more services! So Fred (the physical therapist) pulled out my dad's data from his assessment in the beginning of February. 

In comparison to early February, my dad appears to be doing better in terms of standing up and sitting down, walking, and balancing. All good news and it shows that my daily prodding is having an effect. Despite the fact that he hates doing any kind of movement. 

I think the home healthcare company thinks I am scared to take my dad outside of the house! REALLY??? I moved him from Los Angeles for heaven's sake, which meant daily movement and even staying at a hotel. Not to mention I take him to doctor appointments and out to lunch. So fear shouldn't even be used in the same sentence as me!

This evening, Karen (my lifetime friend) is working on sorting the toiletries that have come in for the Foundation. I was going to get to it, but she started it for me. I find starting it is always the hardest part!

Get the picture! Mixed within today's deliveries was an actual gift of goodies for me! Thank you Jean for my treats as well as supporting the Foundation. 




No comments: