Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 21, 2022

Monday, March 21, 2022

Monday, March 21, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2009. Mattie was in the child life playroom and creating something from a recipe. This wasn't something to eat, but instead something to play with like slime. That of course intrigued Mattie! As you can see Mattie was wearing a mask, something that many children with cancer are familiar with, as they are left immunocompromised from treatment. Therefore at times white blood cell counts drop very low making them susceptible to all sorts of infections. Mattie did not like wearing a mask both from a sensory standpoint as well as it made him feel DIFFERENT. Unless absolutely necessary, I made the decision for Mattie not to wear a mask, because psychologically Mattie needed the freedom to be a child and not be defined by his disease. 


Quote of the day: You have power over your mind – not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength. ~ Marcus Aurelius


I got up at 6:30am so that I could get myself together, and then make breakfast, get my dad up, showered, dressed, downstairs, and eating breakfast. I even had time to do brain games and my dad's physical exercise routine. I had a dentist appointment at 11am in the city, and therefore had to leave the house by 10am. But I can't just get up and do what I have to do. I have to think about everyone else in the house first. 

When I got to the dentist office, I was expecting to see my hygienist. I only started working with her last year, after my long time hygienist left the practice to go back home to help her family. I greatly miss her as she was sensitive and competent. To my surprise, I was introduced to Annie (not my typical hygienist). Annie explained that my hygienist was still helping another patient, therefore so as to not keep me waiting, she would be doing my cleaning. 

I typically do not handle changes like this well, especially when the office hasn't prepared me. However, it turns out I LOVED Annie and have requested her as my new hygienist moving forward. Naturally she was competent and capable but that isn't why I loved her. Before starting with me, she went over some family history issues. She asked if anyone in my family has Alzheimer's. Well that was a loaded question, so I told her about my current caregiving situation. She was so taken aback by what I am enduring that she said.... well you need to be pampered. She lowered the lights in the room, put on spa music, and even gave me a cloth for my head with aromatherapy oils, now to mention a neck massage. Who does this? Apparently Annie! I found her care, concern, and compassion just what I needed today. 

Turns out that Annie cared for a parent and an in-law with Alzheimer's and understood the road I am walking. Now if I told the same story to the other hygienist, do I think I would have received the same compassionate response? I would say no! In fact, when the dentist came to examine my teeth and Annie told him what I was experiencing, he had very little to say. His response did not surprise me at all, this is what I am used to, as so many people do not understand the challenges, stresses, and debilitation from family caregiving. It was Annie's response that caught my attention, as I wasn't expecting it but wow what a difference a little kindness can produce. I told her she was my respite for today, rather funny that I would find respite in a dentist's chair, but there you have it. 

No comments: