Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 27, 2022

Friday, May 27, 2022

Friday, May 27, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2007. It was Mattie's first day of summer camp at his preschool, and before moving along with our day, I wanted to capture that moment in time. You can see from Mattie's facial expression that he was not happy with my request. But he complied and now looking back I am so happy that I insisted on photos. Not just photos during milestone moments, but photos that documented our daily live together. 





Quote of the day: Sometimes our work as caregivers is not for the faint of heart. But, you will never know what you’re made of until you step into the fire. Step bravely. ~ Deborah A. Beasley


Since my parents have lived with us, we have been spending a great deal of time in about three or four local restaurants. I cook about four days a week, and then the other three we go out for a main meal of the day. My dad actually looks forward to going out. He has to interact with the world, he gets to talk with people, and it provides some structure to his day. Who knew that going out to eat would serve many psychosocial functions? But it does!

In two of the restaurants that we frequent, we have become friendly with the waitresses. They consider us their "regulars." Ironically while chatting with them, we have gotten to know more about them and their families. Don't you know it both in question have been touched by cancer. One waitress, her son is a brain cancer survivor and the other waitress, her husband died from a long cancer battle. She was his caregiver and once he died, she raised four children on her own. These are very determined and special women and what I find most fascinating about this is I think caregivers, or caregiver types, are attracted to one another. 

I personally appreciate working with both of these women, because when I take my dad out, he has a lot of needs and requests. In addition to his pickiness about food, I also have to contend with his bathroom issues. I find that I land up eating quickly at every meal because I just don't know when there will be a bathroom emergency. I used to wonder which bathroom to I take my dad into! But now it is common place for me. I waltz right into the ladies room with him, and to this day, no one has ever looked at me funny or even questioned why I am bringing him in. Of course just watching my dad in motion, it is very evident that he needs a lot of help both physically and cognitively. 

Some days are easier than others to balance his needs. If it was only the physical needs that would be one thing, but it is the cognitive issues that can really weigh on me. The constant questioning, the repeating of answers, and his inability to have interest in anything..... all are overwhelming day in and day out. To help guide my dad's day, I have a master calendar by his chair and a portable white board that highlights all his daily activities and the timing of them. Despite all my efforts, what he really wants to do is sleep the day away, which of course will not help his memory issue. All I can remind myself is to take it one day at a time. But I long for a day when I can just sleep in and not have to jump up and manage ten tasks at once. 

No comments: