Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

May 28, 2022

Saturday, May 28, 2022

Saturday, May 28, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in May of 2007. Mattie was five years old and that weekend, we drove to Pennsylvania to take Mattie to Dutch Wonderland. It was a magical trip of firsts for Mattie, as this was his first time on amusement rides, particular rollercoasters. Along our journey, we stopped at the National Toy  Train Museum. Mattie loved seeing all the displays and in one room, they had a tv camera and as you can see it captured both Peter and Mattie together. Naturally I felt the need to capture that as a photo. With Mattie, there were always adventures and he expanded my horizons, as I naturally gravitated to more traditionally girl focused activities. With Mattie, I quickly learned about cars, trucks, planes, trains, building things, and exploring nature. 


Quote of the day: The phrase ‘Love one another’ is so wise. By loving one another, we invest in each other and ourselves. Perhaps someday, when we need someone to care for us, it may not come from the person we expect, but from the person we least expect. It may be our sons or daughter-in-laws, our neighbors, friends, cousins, stepchildren, or stepparents whose love for us has assigned them to the honorable, yet the dangerous position of caregiver. ~ Peggi Speers


I find I am so tired, that if I stop moving, I fall asleep. At 10pm, I headed upstairs last night in hopes of going to rest. However, we brought Sunny upstairs with us, as my thought was he would feel more secure near us. Especially since he received another dose of chemotherapy yesterday. Make a long story short, the change in routine, caused Sunny even more anxiety. By 12:30am, I gave up. I told Peter he had to carry Sunny downstairs, because I couldn't manage hearing Sunny pacing, panting, and non-stop licking of himself. All signs of anxiety. Ironically when Sunny went back downstairs, he did much better. But my goal was to be on hand if he had another uncontrollable bout of diarrhea and vomiting. Thankfully I think we have found an anti-emetic that works for him. I am hoping that is a trend. Nonetheless, we are both noticing that Sunny is losing weight, or at least looks thinner. I frankly am not sure it is weight loss, as much as disease progression. I would like to think that the chemo is doing its job and is decreasing the swelling we have noticed in his mid-drift area. 


Now that it is spring time, Indie is VERY insistent! She wants to go outside. We only allow her onto our porch when we are there to provide supervision. But for a small cat, she can make a racket. She will howl and scream until her outdoor needs are met. 
Apparently our backyard is a bee haven! Can you see all the pollen on this bee's legs? We have planted all sorts of wonderful and colorful plants in the backyard and it is definitely attracting attention. 
This is a pin cushion flower. Once the purple pedals are gone, then the remaining flower really looks like an actual pin cushion. 
Many of the flowers are in line with Mattie Miracle colors. We have some glorious roses, like this one in orange. 
Even the dahlias are happy. 


No comments: