Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 25, 2023

Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken on January 1, 2008. Mattie was almost six years old and that day we went to Roosevelt Island. As you can see the ducks were following Mattie and his Ziploc full of bread. I realize the current thinking is NOT to feed the wild birds, but to me one of the fun things about being a child is feeding the ducks and learning about their behaviors! So every time we went to the Island, I always had bags of bread in tow for Mattie. It is hard to believe that six months after the photo was taken, Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. 


Quote of the day: Because that’s what kindness is. It’s not doing something for someone else because they can’t, but because you can. ~ Andrew Iskander


My hair hasn't been cut in a year. I took a photo of what it looks like now! My hair hasn't been this long since I was a child. In fact if you see me now, you will always find that I wear my hair up. I do because it is too long and straggly. It has no shape and given all the activity I do each day, it has to be up and away from my face. 

This coming Friday, I am finally going to get my hair cut. It is a real juggling act managing all of my parent's needs, but while my mom is at the salon on Friday, she will have to wait for me for a change.


This afternoon, I took my mom for physical therapy. She is beginning to appreciate why I made her change outpatient rehab clinics. My dad's physical therapist is EXCELLENT. I did not care for my mom's former therapist. She wasn't creative and definitely did not have good energy. To me, a therapist who has positive energy, is hopeful, and provides therapy in a creative manner (tailored to the individual) is worth pursuing. 

Cassidy got my mom up on a treadmill today for 10 minutes. My mom enjoyed it and the thinking is with more walking that she does, the more steady on her feet she will be. As she holds the treadmill, she also has to re-learn to put weight on her whole foot, not just her heels (which is why she is always tipping backward). 

It was a complete wash out today! Non-stop rain. The birds are hitting all our bird feeders and we have a whole family of cardinals that visit with us daily! 
Of course you can rest assure that if there is bird traffic, Miss Indie will be on the case. Indie has a wonderful cat tree in Peter's office! She loves hopping up on it to check for birds in the backyard. 


No comments: